About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Thinking About: Beer

I’ve never been what you could call a big drinker. Even in my drinking years at University I could never really keep up with the big boys and, thankfully, quickly stopped trying to. By the end of my degree I could certainly ‘down a few’ without appreciable signs of wear and tear but, paradoxically, that was half the problem - actually getting off-my-face drunk was starting to cost a fortune. Strangely I never really liked drinking to excess that much. Partially because I just couldn’t see the point – oh, it was fun for a while but only for a short while – partially because I’ve never really liked pubs (they’re much better now after the nationwide smoking ban) and I’ve always hated throwing up. Added to that was the horrible realisation that as I got older – leaving University at 26 – my hangovers where getting progressively worse. Sticking mainly to vodka helped but still the day after the night before became an increasing write-off.

The opportunity to cut back arrived after graduation – followed by a period of unemployment. Being on the dole meant that I had a simple choice – eat or drink. I chose to eat. It quickly dawned on me that I actually didn’t miss the booze and quite happily cut back almost to nothing. Getting a job in London didn’t change that very much. I was living a 30 minute train journey away from where I worked so any drinking sessions with the guys after we clocked off were normally short-lived. When I moved here things changed a little bit. I had a few close friends in the city and they were fairly big drinkers – at least in their youth. So I had increasing opportunities to get back into bad habits. Admittedly my alcohol intake did increase but only ever episodically and I rarely got myself into hang-over territory. I discovered what my limit was and, through diligence and some practice, refined my drinking behaviour to a point where I could maintain a merry state without tipping over to being drunk and disorderly. For a while there if I wasn’t drinking shorts – vodka still being my favourite along with gin – I tended to drink Bud. It was light enough so I wouldn’t get drunk (or merry) too quickly and I didn’t spend half my night in the toilet. One night that all changed when I was re-introduced to real ale. I have never looked back.

My first introduction to proper beer was, of course, in my University years when one of the guys introduced me to the delightful Theakston’s Old Peculiar (or OP as it’s normally called). This lovely dark beer is a favourite memory of mine from that period. Needless to say I have started drinking it again down here. As my appreciation of ale grew I made a point of trying out the local ales wherever I went. My preference though was always for dark beer – the darker the better. Indeed one of the best pints I’ve had in recent memory was on a trip – my only so far – to the US. We were in San Francisco on the way back home from Australia and found ourselves in a micro-brewery run by the San Francisco Brewing Company. It was their 14th Anniversary so we felt that it would’ve been rude not to stop for one or two. We ended up staying for several hours and getting very drunk indeed. But it was beautiful beer and left me the next day without a trace of hang-over. It was a very pleasant way to end a great holiday.

Just a few weeks ago I discovered a new favourite ale called Old Tom (I actually clocked it because it had a picture of a cat on the front – sad I know) which turned out to be a lovely dark beer with a deceptive kick – which really shouldn’t have surprised me being 8.5% proof which is double the alcohol content of my other favourite dark beer – Guinness. Beer may not exactly be my life but I think it’s going to be a (small) part of my life at least into the near future. Apparently it’s good for my heart and anyway I like the taste.

10 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

"I tended to drink Bud."

I shuddered, but you redeemed yourself. Here's an old beer joke, that isn't as appropriate now that there are some wonderful American micro-brews, but it's still funny.

What do American beers and having sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both f**king close to water. ;-)

My personal favorite is from Chicago. Goose Isand Nut Brown Ale. Another is Delerium Tremmens (Look for the pink elephant on the bottle)

My favorite cheap beer is Michelob's Amberbock.

I love a good black and tan from time to time as well or just some straight Guinness.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wstachour said...

I grew up in a household with an (undiagnosed) alcoholic parent, and my response to this was to swear off the stuff altogether--and rather emphatically at that. My siblings each took a different path, though I daresay none of us has any problem with alcohol.

Oddly, I spent several years as a bartender during and after college. It's still a job I'm fond of.

Not having acquired the taste for beer, it all tastes incredibly vile to me. I can't imagine drinking it voluntarily!

CyberKitten said...

Mike said: I shuddered, but you redeemed yourself.

[laughs] Drinking Bud was very much me drinking without *actually* drinking - both in volume and alcohol content. It was almost like drinking 'soda' just way more expensive (even @ pub prices).

Close to water indeed! [rotflmao]

wunelle said: I grew up in a household with an (undiagnosed) alcoholic parent, and my response to this was to swear off the stuff altogether...

I think that's a very common response. I don't regret my drinking but I have seen the damage its done to people I've known. I certainly saw a few soon-to-be alcoholics at University. Fortunately my addictions are in other areas. I can see the attraction of alcohol but never felt to need, again fortunately, to dive head-first into a bottle and live there. For that I thank my tastebuds and my stomach.

wunelle said: Not having acquired the taste for beer, it all tastes incredibly vile to me. I can't imagine drinking it voluntarily!

Oh, I definitely know what you mean. To begin with beer can taste horrible - especially the mass produced rubbish I used to drink - and is very much an acquired taste (either that or it takes a while for your tastebuds to give up and surrender to it). It's one of the things that put me off drinking for so long. I guess its a bit like smoking - a habit I have thankfully never acquired despite, or because of, the fact that both my parents smoked throughout most of their lives - that once you move beyond the gag reflex you can basically drink anything.

VV said...

Having alcoholic parents and many, many relatives who are alcoholics, including siblings, I, like Wunelle, have sworn off all forms of alcohol. That said, we have a new microbrewery near us, Evolution Brewery, that all our friends rave about. We attended a Beer Fest recently (yeah, go figure) anyway, the food was good and our friends tasted all the brews and told us (M is not a beer drinker either) all about the subtle and/or distinct flavors of the various beers and what types of foods they would be appropriate with. I figure even if I don't drink the stuff, I'd still like to know a little about the culture and what the attraction is.

Thomas Fummo said...

ugh.. alcohol.

filthy brain killing poison.
BEGONE!!

CyberKitten said...

V V said: Having alcoholic parents and many, many relatives who are alcoholics, including siblings, I, like Wunelle, have sworn off all forms of alcohol.

Wow. I didn't realise alcoholism was so prevalent...

Neither of my parents drank and we never had any alcohol in the house. My brother doesn't drink and I don't think my sister drinks since she had children. My drinking is probably restricted to special events - like birthdays and weddings - and I probably average less than a beer a week. Only recently have I started having a regular beer (singular) during my Friday night gaming session.

TF said: ugh.. alcohol. filthy brain killing poison. BEGONE!!

[laughs] I'm guessing you're still not part of the Bitish student drinking culture then? It *is* very bad for you - the number of silly things I've done (or tried to do) when drunk... to say nothing of my blackouts.....

Laura said...

A Brit that doesn't drink??? Wow. I didn't know that existed! I do like beer - but I tend to be a beer snob. I'll drink Bud Light when finances dictate it - and it's actually not that bad in the midwest because it's made here. I have a friend who moved from Chicago to Portland and he used to like Miller and Bud, but apparently on the West coast, the water makes it taste like piss.

I am a fan of Blue Moon and of real Belgian style ales. Maudite (or any Unibroue beer) is my favorite. If you can find it there, try it. They're wicked good.

Word verification: Spubses... made me giggle

dbackdad said...

Guinness and Stone IPA are my favorites. Black and tans are always welcome. I'm a bit of a snob like Laura. When I'm paying, I will pretty much not suffer an American mass-market brew. But there are exceptions. Free beer always tastes good. And American beers are pretty good at ballgames.

I don't even try to drink mixed drinks any more. Any experiences with hard liquor in college involved blackouts and questionable behavior.

CyberKitten said...

Laura said: A Brit that doesn't drink??? Wow. I didn't know that existed!

It's not that I don't drink - it's that I don't drink much... anymore. I pretty much grew out of that sort of thing by my late 20's... OK maybe my mid-30's.....

Laura said: I am a fan of Blue Moon and of real Belgian style ales. Maudite (or any Unibroue beer) is my favorite. If you can find it there, try it.

I'll look out for them. My local supermarket has a pretty good selection of beers...

dbackdad said: I don't even try to drink mixed drinks any more. Any experiences with hard liquor in college involved blackouts and questionable behavior.

Don't you just hate blackouts....? It's happened to me 3-4 times and the memory never came back. I really *get* stories where the main character wakes up after a night on the juice to find a dead women next to him. It could totally have happened to me and I'd have zero defence!

I had double vision lots too and one time I had *tunnel* vision - that was very weird!