About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Just Finished Reading: A Guide to the Good Life – The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William B Irvine

I’ve been interested in and fascinated by Ancient Philosophy for some time now. The more I learnt about it the more impressed I have become. A few years ago as part of my recent University course I spent quite a few weeks studying Aristotle and have become a firm fan. But I think first place in my mind goes to the Stoics. For many years I have regarded myself as a Stoical person – even before I understood what that really meant (actually what I really meant was that I was pretty phlegmatic about things). Of course Stoicism is much more than this as is ably demonstrated by this present volume. Stoicism is, I think, is a philosophy that has stood the test of time. It is a set of teachings as relevant today as it was in the ancient world – because human nature doesn’t really change that much. We still have to deal with disappointment, death, and the daily irritations of other people. Throughout history we have wanted things we don’t need and expended effort in the quest to achieve goals that could be expended more profitably elsewhere.

Irvine has an interesting take on the whole Stoic philosophy. He identifies both Tranquillity and Joy as central to their ideas on how Stoics proposed we should live a good life – not by being indifferent to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune but by realising simple and (frankly obvious) things about existence. Amongst these are truths that we often forget – that there are things beyond our control (which we should stop worrying about), things fully within our control (which we should spend most of our energy dealing with) and things that we can influence but not control (which is, rather inevitably, the problem area for most people). Another central theme the author concentrates on is the idea of negative visualisation. In this he recommends that we imagine a life without things we hold dear – be they objects that we have acquired over time – and often great expense – or loved ones that hold important places in our lives. Not only does imagining living without them make them more precious to us but also prepares us for their (probable) loss. In this way the negative effects of the theft or destruction of property or the death s of those around us is diminished and any pain felt shortened.

Irvine, after outlining the history of Stoicism explains psychological techniques for coping with the inevitable uncertainties of life, techniques that anyone can use in many situations and to good effect. Oddly I found myself more than once thinking – yup, already do that. Irvine also draws on Stoic writings to offer practical advice on dealing with other people, grief, anger old age and death. These topics where the subject of lively discussions in ancient Greece and Rome just as they are today. Sage advice from great Stoics such as Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and Epictetus is drawn upon time and again to address real issues experienced everyday by real people. The only problem I had with this book – and I fully understand why he did it – was the author’s practical dismissal of the Stoic idea of Fate. I certainly understand that Fate is not central to the modern way of living. We are taught (or indoctrinated into) the belief that the world is our oyster to do with what we wish. The Stoics would have none of this. Fate was central to their philosophy. It did actually disappoint me that the author could ditch this because it, along with the foundation of their idea of Free Will, is difficult to accommodate with our modern sensibilities. Irvine’s mission is to bring the Stoics to the attention of the modern reader who would, I agree, find this difficult if he brought along all of their associated beliefs. He has tried, and mostly succeeded, in updating Stoicism for the 21st Century – or at least giving the modern reader an appreciation of their philosophy to a level that interested readers can go back to the original sources themselves. In that sense this book is a very good introduction to the subject and could easily form the core of an effective and practical philosophy of life for anyone in search of such a thing. Being a Stoic, the author makes clear, is no easy ride but walking their path and living their techniques could, with practice, improve the quality of your life. If you ever wanted to know about Stoicism but were put off by reading apparently dusty tomes written over 2 thousand years ago then this is a great book for you. Highly recommended.

6 comments:

Stephen said...

Irvine's book is less an academic treatment of the philosophy and more of a guide to actually trying to LIVE it -- very useful to the lay philosopher. Even if Stoicism itself isn't attractive, the practices here can be put to use in most frameworks.

VV said...

What is the Stoic idea of Fate? I've always been told I'm very stoic because I just take what comes and deal with it without too much worry most of the time, but I never thought about there being a Stoic philosophy. I'm going to go investigate the philosophers you mentioned. I've heard of Marcus Aurelius and Seneca but don't believe I've read more than one or two things they've written.

Stephen said...

Irvine may have be referencing Fortuna, personified as a young woman holding a cornucopia of food (Fortune) and a rudder (indicating her power to shift our fate toward both good and bad outcomes). The idea is that she's fickle, and that we are never in control of what actually happens to us. We can only prepare for the "vicissitudes of fortune" and respond to them with wisdom and grace.

(I was raised to discuss "virtu versus Fortuna" on a mid-term and was delighted. Hurrah for Stoic philosophy. ;-))

VV said...

Thanks. I guess I am Stoic, even though I never knew the full import of what that meant. Fortune being fickle in my mind is, "things happen so be prepared" and that's pretty much how I live. Hope for the best but always be prepared for any outcome and go with the flow.

CyberKitten said...

sc said: Irvine's book is less an academic treatment of the philosophy and more of a guide to actually trying to LIVE it..

Most definitely. It's one of the things the Ancient's were good at - Trying to answer the question: How should I live my life?

sc said: Even if Stoicism itself isn't attractive, the practices here can be put to use in most frameworks.

Oh, I think Stoicism is *very* attractive!

v v said: I'm very stoic because I just take what comes and deal with it without too much worry most of the time...

I think that's a more modern use of the word - and apparently a more derogatory one from the ancient point of view. But it is in a sense Stoical in that you recognise what you can and can't do about things that happen to you and act accordingly.

v v said: I never thought about there being a Stoic philosophy.

Oh, most definitely.....

v v said: I've heard of Marcus Aurelius and Seneca but don't believe I've read more than one or two things they've written.

I can highly recommend: 'On the Shortness of Life' by Seneca. It's available on Amazon.com for $8.95 - money well spent I think.

VV said...

Thanks. I'll look for it.