About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Just Couldn’t Finish Reading: Sleipnir by Linda Evans.

I really should’ve taken more notice of the tag line of this book: OK, Odin – Make my day! That should have warned me off this novel before I parted with my money. Luckily I’d actually picked this up in a second hand shop so didn’t feel all that cheated.

Anyway, as to the story….. As far as I can tell after struggling through the first 150 pages this was basically a tale of revenge. When a soldier’s best friend is killed in an accident he starts seeing and experiencing strange things including a sighting of Sleipnir (the Norse God Odin’s trusty steed) and the activities of a strange knife with a mind of its own. Swearing revenge against the God he considers the killer of his friend, the soldier (I can’t remember his name and can’t work up the effort to look through the book until I find it) finds his way into the Norse underworld looking for a fight…. And that’s as far as I got before I gave up.

This might have been an interesting idea but I thought it was very badly told. I didn’t really care very much about any of the characters and, after a while, thought that the whole thing was just plain silly. It’s just possible that this book suffered in comparison to the previous two fantasy novels – both of which had been really good – but I think that might be being a bit too kind. Basically this book was borderline rubbish and I don’t have the time or the energy to wade my way through books like this. Needless to say I’d recommend that you avoid it.

6 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Here's one I finished years ago that was comically bad.

Witchdame

I still have it.

CyberKitten said...

[snigger} I can guess how bad it was from the title. Strangely some of the Amazon reviews were very positive....

CyberKitten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sleepypete said...

Feels a bit like that with the Turtledove Worldwar books ... Now in book 4 of 8 and remembering the repetitive nature and how big chunks are irrelevant.

Still wanting to know what happens though, so I'll keep going through.

Must put comments up on some of the books I've finished reading recently. I'd definitely recommend the Jack Campbell Lost Fleet series, well written and very easy to read scifi.

wstachour said...

I just never had much stomach for this brand of fantasy (though my wife is quick to point out to me the infantile underpinnings of "Star Wars," which I seem to tolerate fine...)

So I credit you with getting that much further than I would, and I happily follow your advice to avoid!

(WV: 'painalis' Not sure what it means, but I don't think I like it!)

CyberKitten said...

wunelle said: So I credit you with getting that much further than I would, and I happily follow your advice to avoid!

Contrary to the evidence of my latest batch of books, I'm not *that* into Fantasy. This was just a particularly bad example though.

I don't like giving up on books but when I was reading less than 20 pages a day I decided that enough was enough.