About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 07, 2010

A(nother) Book Meme.

Thanks to Rust belt Philosophy for this:

Do you snack while reading?

Often yes. I also read during my lunch-break at work so sandwiches could be involved too.

What is your favourite drink while reading?

Old Jamaica Ginger Beer

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

Oh, I really hate it when people write in books. If you want to make notes then use a pad like normal people!

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat?

I use anything that comes to hand though for years I’ve been using the rip-off part of my payslip. They’ve changed its design so now I used everything from old credit cards to discarded bus tickets.

Fiction, non-fiction or both?

Both. My preference is for fiction but I read quite a bit of non-fiction too. I’d miss out on far too much if I didn’t. There’s a natural part of me that once it becomes interested in a subject – which could be just about anything – I feel the need to read up about it.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere?

I can stop a book in mid-sentence, though I prefer to stop at least at the end of a paragraph. I’m not driven to finish a chapter – mostly for practical reasons (sleep and work).

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

I have ripped a book in half before now when I became very angry at what it said. To cut a long story short I’d had a particularly bad day with my (then) girlfriend and was disgusted to read about how wonderful the day was supposed to be – according to a yearly horoscope book I was reading. So I read out the passage to her and then ripped the book in half and threw it in the bin under my desk. The people I work with – this all happened in my office – where plainly stunned at how I had treated a book. They knew how much I valued them. Looking back on it the whole incident was highly amusing.

What are you currently reading?

The Age of Ra by James Lovegrove, Consciousness – A Very Short Introduction by Susan Blackmore, Voltaire’s Bastards – The Dictatorship of Reason in the West by John Ralston Saul and The Bloodless Revolution – Radical Vegetarians and the Discovery of India by Tristam Stuart.

What is the last book you bought?

It was a pair of books on special offer: The Making of Modern Britain – From Queen Victoria to VE Day by Andrew Marr and The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?

Saturday at home, although I can (and do) read just about anywhere. When I’m awake enough I like to read in bed for 10-15 minutes just before turning in for the night.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?

I don’t care really – though if a series is good enough I do find myself both itching to read the next instalment and restraining myself so the experience isn’t over too soon.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

Alan Furst – probably the best historical spy novel writer I’ve had the great privilege to read.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

If I’m anywhere near a computer, yes. Google is very useful in that regard.

How do you organize your books (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)?

The books that I can fit on my shelves are organised by author (fiction). I also have two complete bookshelves containing the books I bought for my two recent courses. The rest – the unread piles(s) tend to be pretty randomly organised (although technically by date – sort of). I do, however, have fiction piles and non-fiction piles.

Background noise or silence?

At home – at weekends – it’s music. Evenings normally silence after muting the TV. At work it’s the hum of conversation and the ringing of telephones. Fortunately people have learnt to leave me alone (mostly) when they see a book on my desk. I don’t mind too much about necessary interruptions though.

5 comments:

VV said...

Very informative! How thick was the book you ripped in half? Passionate and strong?! My book shelves are organized by favorite books. There are some books that speak to me and I keep them close by to re-read certain passages and pearls of wisdom.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, the book was only about 100-120 pages thick so not great achievement to rip it in half! [laughs]

It would have been a rather pathetic gesture if I'd struggled [rotflmao]

I hardly ever revisit books. Though I do dip into future reads to rank them in the 'read soon' category.....

Sleepypete said...

I see a meme coming soon on mine ... (but not tonight)

Some of the background noise will be my music - lol :-)

dbackdad said...

I haven't done a meme in a long time. One about reading is right up my alley, though. I think I'll be posting something tomorrow.

wstachour said...

Uh-oh. I'll be in trouble for marking up my books! I have always read with a pen in hand, mostly to help me find passages again that are worth revisiting. I never mark up fiction, but the more scientific a subject the more I tend to write.

I used to use a bus transfer for a bookmark back in my bus driving days (now over 20 years ago), and I occasionally revisit a book and find a yellowed transfer slip in it.