About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 05, 2010

Thinking About: Sleep

My bed is probably one of my favourite places to be. I feel at home there and look forward to sleeping in my own bed whenever I’m away for too long. Buying my present double bed and orthopaedic mattress turned out to be one of my better decisions – prompted as it was by my then girlfriend’s criticism of my futon (which I loved for different reasons).

Getting my sleep is very important to me. I do not function at all well if I don’t get my sleep and believe that it would be a fair defence in any future murder trial that the deceased had stopped me from sleeping enough. That’s something I’m not doing at the moment – sleeping enough. I’m tired pretty much all of the time which isn’t doing me any good at all. It got so bad about 18 months ago that I was almost hallucinating. Being me I was actually fascinated by the whole thing. It was a time when about half of my project team left within a matter of weeks of each other. The show had to go on regardless so for about 3 months or so we had three people doing seven peoples jobs. You can imagine what that was like. All of the day-to-day ‘donkey’ work was being done by just two of us. It was relentless. Near the end, just before we got some new people who fortunately hit the ground running (I shudder to think what state we would have been in if we’d had have to train them as well), I remember being in the Mall on my way to having a pizza with the guys prior to seeing a film. I was feeling pretty punch drunk – missing too many lunches probably not helping my blood sugar levels – and I could actually feel parts of my brain shutting down to rest themselves as best they could. It was the weirdest feeling. I couldn’t help comparing it to whales and dolphins who do something similar so that they can ‘sleep’ and still keep from drowning. It must also be something similar to the experiences of combat troops who need to stay alert for extended periods of time and basically rest when they can. It’s certainly something that I don’t want to repeat.

I much prefer sleeping on my own. It took me the best part of three months to get used to sleeping with my girlfriend. One reason is that is, from the evidence of my covers in the morning, I tend to move around a lot in my sleep. With someone else there a small part of my consciousness is obviously ‘on guard’ so that I don’t push them out or sock them in the mouth with a flaying arm and this inevitably cuts down on the deep sleep we all need to function. I also like to stretch out and use far more of my ‘fair share’ of the mattress which I can only do on my own. I’m just too conscious with someone else there. If I was living with someone permanently I’d probably give serious thoughts to separate beds in separate rooms. I hear it’s the way for relationship bliss.

I have slept in the nude since I was about 10 years old and intend to continue doing so until I die. I can’t stand wearing clothes in bed. I quickly overheat and feel constrained if I’m wearing much of anything. If it gets really cold I might wear a T-shirt until the bed warms up sufficiently but then it’s whipped off and my own body heat can do its thing care of a decent duvet. One of the things I like about the summer is that, for three or four days of the year on average, it’s warm enough to sleep on top of the duvet. It has to be my idea of Heaven. Maybe it shows that I’m just in touch with my animal nature but I think of it as a real treat. Anyway, all this talk of beds is starting to make me feel sleepy. So goodnight everyone!

5 comments:

VV said...

You are so like M, doesn't sleep well, doesn't function well without sleep, flails all over at night. My only periods of severe sleep deprivation were when my kids were babies. My son had a sleep disorder and seldom slept which led to heart palpitations for me, skin issues, hallucinations and hearing voices. I can only imagine how he suffered as an infant. Mostly now though, I can nod off anywhere, anytime and sleep well. I wake up bright and early and ready for the day. I am a true morning person. I believe M secretly loathes me for this ability.

CyberKitten said...

V V said: I wake up bright and early and ready for the day. I am a true morning person. I believe M secretly loathes me for this ability.

Me too... [grin]

I am *so* not a morning person. Truely I am the undead at the ungodly hour I get up for work.

A little while back I had to be in/near work for the time I'm usually dragging myself out of bed (Bowling Tournament). I managed to get there OK but nearly threw up when I arrived! I'm really *that* bad in the morning.

VV said...

You know, I think some people are just wired for a different time schedule. M has mentioned feeling nauseated if she has to get up too early and actually function. I also notice the flip side in the evenings. I start slowing down around 2 in the afternoon. I have no energy to do anything in the evenings and have to force myself to do chores. Also, when my body is ready to sleep, there's almost no stopping it. M on the other hand can stay up late with no problem. I've tried resetting my clock by forcing myself to stay up later, and trying to sleep in late, dark curtains, eye mask, the whole bit. It doesn't work. I still automatically wake up around sunrise (5 ish) and am down around 10, sometimes earlier. I believe there's a need for all types in this world. People like me get up and make the coffee for people like you and M. :-) She likes hers dark and strong btw.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Many times on my days off work I will awaken early and love it, but I will usually end up taking a nap at some point. I am not a morning person during the work week.

I too get hot when I sleep and prefer to sleep nude or close to it. When Robyn, my fiance, first moved here I was sleeping on a queen sized air mattress which was great for me, but not so great for two people. one couldn't move without the other feeling it. It started to leak and I didn't really want to try to repair it, so we bought a king sized memory foam mattress and love it! I'm a light sleeper and if I'm bumped I usually wake up, but there's enough room with the king sized bed that we don't worry about bumping into the other person.

CyberKitten said...

v v said: You know, I think some people are just wired for a different time schedule.

Oh, most definitely.

v v said: I believe there's a need for all types in this world. People like me get up and make the coffee for people like you and M. :-) She likes hers dark and strong btw.

Tried coffee twice - yuk. These days I don't even drink tea.... Maybe that explains why I'm tired all of the time. Not enough blood in my caffene system?

mike said: we bought a king sized memory foam mattress and love it!

Heaven!