About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, September 13, 2010

My Favourite Movies: Amelie

I can’t remember seeing this at the movies. At least I have no clear recollection of doing so. It’s possible that back then – in 2001 – that I wasn’t as in love with French cinema as I am now. Anyway I’ve probably seen this film 4-5 times since it came out. I think that my initial reason for watching this was my attraction for the female lead Audrey Tautou. Not only is she a strikingly beautiful woman but she has a quirkiness (at least in this movie) that I find very enticing.

Tautou plays the eponymous Amelie Poulain who, after being brought up by over protective parents retreats into her own fantasy world. On leaving home she becomes a waitress in a small café where she keeps a comfortable distance from the people she works with. Until one night where she discovers a tin box of memories and mementoes left behind by a previous occupant of her apartment. Determined on a whim to reunite the box with the boy who left it behind, Amelie starts on a road that is difficult to leave. She is determined to work behind the scenes to make people happy. But the one person she seems incapable of helping is herself.

This is a delight of a movie. It’s engagingly filmed, very funny (if like me you have a particularly quirky sense of humour), sweet, full of interesting characters (I do find that French movies often have great ensemble casts where a great deal of effort goes into characters that might only get a few minutes screen time), so many sub-plots that it makes your head spin, and, not least, the lovely, delightful and quirky Audrey Tautou (who I think is one of the most beautiful women alive). I think that my love of French cinema may have gone to a whole new level with this film. Not only did it prompt me to amass the core of a respectable collection of French films but it probably led me to experiment which films from other European countries – much to my surprise and general enjoyment. If watching sub-titled films puts you off watching films like this then you are missing some of the best films I’ve ever seen. Don’t let the language put you off. Watching these films in the original is the only way to go. I’ve seen others that have been dubbed and they are quite frankly awful. Even if you miss a few words here and there don’t worry. French films in particular are very visual things (which seems obvious I know) and the more you watch the better you’ll get. After a while it will seem as if they’re speaking English or you’re thinking in French. Anyway, if you haven’t seen this total gem of a movie you’re definitely missing out on a real treat. Take the plunge, take the risk and rent the DVD – of even better buy the DVD and save yourself the rental cost, because you’ll be watching this more than once.

4 comments:

wstachour said...

I haven't seen this in years, though I remember liking it when I did.

Now I must revisit!

dbackdad said...

I adore this movie! Tautou is fantastic and I've always been a fan of the movies of Jean-Pierre Jeunet because of their quirkiness and unique visual style.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Wonderful film! We loved it!

CyberKitten said...

Happy memories all round it seems!