About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Just Finished Reading: Existentialism – A Very Short Introduction by Thomas R Flynn



Even after reading this, and other books on the subject, I’m still not exactly sure what Existentialism is. That is not to say that this was a bad book, it wasn’t. I understand where Existentialism came from (the experience of French philosophers during the German occupation) and what some of its antecedents where. I understand that, in contrast to Anglo-American philosophy, it deals with how we live our lives or more accurately how we should live our lives. I understand that it attempts to address the issues raised by the individual coming to terms with the fact of his or her existence. But I still think I’m missing something fundamental. Maybe I’m not – which is why I can’t find it. I could be looking for something that simply does not exist.


Anyway, although not exactly a walk in the park as philosophical books go I really didn’t struggle with much of this. I feel far more at home with Continental philosophy than with its trans-Atlantic cousin. To me the philosophy of France (in particular) and Germany (along with other European countries) makes sense. To me philosophy is about the choices we are presented with in our lives and the choices we make as to how to live our lives. Philosophy is about ethics and politics, about aesthetics and the meaning of life. These are questions the Existentialism attempts to answer from its own unique (very French) perspective. It is what I found so fascinating in the philosophical works of Camus and what is prompting me to read Sartre and de Beauvoir. I am intrigued by the concept of personal Authenticity and by ideas of the Absurd nature of mans relationship with the world. I am intrigued enough to read more so that I can understand exactly what attracts me to the subject. As soon as I find out I’ll let you know!

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I thought the essential meaning of Existentialism was that there's no inherent meaning in life aside from that which we give it. Is that too simplistic?

CyberKitten said...

I think that's *part* of it - and something I agree with. It's certainly my understanding of what Camus thought....