About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, March 14, 2011

My Favourite Movies: Up



I have been a Pixar fan since their early days despite a few disappointments (I’m looking at you Nemo). Whilst The Incredibles is still the best of the bunch, in my opinion, Up comes a close second. It is a simple tale of old age, lost dreams, boy scouts, lost worlds and talking dogs – oh, and a whole host of balloons.


The story follows the life of Carl Fredrickson who, along with his life-long love Ellie, dream of adventure in the mysterious South American jungle. Unfortunately, as it often does, life gets in the way of dreams. They need repairs to the car and the house and, very sadly, hospital bills need to be paid. Almost before we’ve settled into our seats Ellie has died and Carl is left all alone (this is the saddest start to a Pixar movie ever). Years later Mr Fredrickson is a deeply grumpy old man who refuses to sell his house to make way for new developments. When it finally comes time to leave he escapes his old life by tying thousands of balloons to his house and sailing away – finally following his dream to discover lost worlds of adventure. Of course things are never really that simple. There’s Russell, an overeager adventure wilderness scout, to deal with as well as Dug, a talking dog. Of course there has to be a larger than life bad-guy too. This is the explorer Charles Muntz who has gone ‘off the reservation’ whilst looking for an extinct bird to save his reputation. When the dreams of Mr Fredrickson and Charles Muntz clash, sparks and dogs fly!


Once I got over the heart rending beginning I really enjoyed this film. Maybe this is partially explained by the guys at work who said that I was the real life Mr Fredrickson. I was honestly insulted. I don’t think that I’m anywhere near that grumpy! My favourite character – by far – was Dug the talking dog (can we keep him… please!) – who was one of the funniest characters I’ve seen in ages. So dumb, so friendly, so loyal….. so easily distracted [squirrel?]. As you might imagine, the animation was outstanding though purposefully cartoonish. The action moved right along and I didn’t roll my eyes once. Of course, being Pixar, there was a warm and fuzzy underlying story behind it all – don’t give up on your dreams but don’t let them consume you, don’t give up on life just because it’s dealt you a shitty hand and be really careful about helping boy scouts or adopting chatty pooches. But such things are easily forgivable considering how funny, clever and simply delightful this movie is. Even if you don’t have the ready excuse of having young children I can heartily recommend that you give yourself 93 minutes of high class entertainment – though I do recommend that you have a few hankies ready for the first 10 minutes. You might need them.

5 comments:

wstachour said...

Yeah, loved it. So many of my favorite films have come from this studio. I think The Incredibles, though, may be impossible to top.

But I look forward to their efforts to do so.

VV said...

M and I went to see this when it was in the theatre. We loved it too. We also loved the Incredibles. That said, I love "Dug" because they sooo get the personality of a dog. The do have one track minds and are easily distracted by squirrels, cats, smells, traffic, you name it. I thought this had a remarkably good story considering it was a cartoon. I guess I went into it with low expectations. Now, as to you being Mr. Frederickson, just how grumpy are you?

CyberKitten said...

wunelle said: But I look forward to their efforts to do so.

Oh, most definitely. A Pixar movie virtually gets a free pass where my critical functions are concerned - well, it gets me to the cinema anyway!

V V said: That said, I love "Dug" because they sooo get the personality of a dog.

Didn't they just! Although I'm not as much a dog person as I am a cat person I thought Dug was a very believable mutt.

V V said: Now, as to you being Mr. Frederickson, just how grumpy are you?

Actually I don't think I'm *that* grumpy. It's just that some of the guys were having a bit of fun at my expense - probably because I'm quite serious most of the time. Either that or they can't handle my extra dry sense of humour...

VV said...

Next time tell them your extra dry sense of humor is like an extra dry martini, reserved for discerning tastes. :-)

CyberKitten said...

I have learnt through experience that very few people share my taste in much and I haven't met another person in 50 years who enjoys everything I do.....

I just take pity on them... [grin]