About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, July 28, 2011



Just Finished Reading: Solitude by Anthony Storr

As my regular readers will know I’ve spent most of my adult life on my own and I expect that I’ll spend the rest of my life like that too. So it’s not surprising that I have an interest in the idea of solitude. This book by the renowned psychiatrist questions the widely held belief that happiness can only, or can be primarily, achieved through personal relationships and that more than minimal solitude should be avoided. Contrary to that Storr puts forward the idea that an important element in the happiness equation is maturity of outlook and the opportunity for personal growth – both of which take place to a great extent when we are alone, with time to think and with minimal distractions (AKA other people). I largely agree with this. I have long felt that an important factor in creating the person that I am – and actively enjoy being – is due in large part to the time I have spent alone living inside my own head. Also, I have known a few people who actively seek out other people and other forms of distraction for the very reason that they dislike (or fear) being alone with themselves. This fear of being alone, a fear based more on the fact of not being able to drown out their own thoughts than anything else, I feel is a deeply immature one.

Despite the fact that I (generally) like people and have little obvious problems forming relationships, outside sexual ones of course, I would have serious issues being with people 24/7. Actually being in that situation is probably the closest I get to the idea of Hell – maybe I’ll find out one day? So it’s never been a case that I’m solo because I don’t have a choice. OK, it’s not like I’m telling people to leave me alone on a regular basis but even if I had the opportunity to be with someone every day I’d still tell them that I need my space (and not just as an excuse to do something I shouldn’t). Storr provides an interesting collection of some of the greatest artists, composers and philosophers who, for one reason or another, spent some extended periods of time alone – either through choice or because of circumstance. Using quotes from their work or diaries as well as comments from contemporaries, as well as his own observations, he makes a good case for their solitude being instrumental in the production of works that have become humanities greatest treasures.

Of course that doesn’t mean that I’m going to produce an opera or world class piece of philosophy that defines the age at any point soon. But it’s nice to know that I could do so [grin]. Where Storr and I agree most it that solitude – even for fairly extended periods – is not, in itself, a bad thing. Times for reflection, retreat and regrouping are important in that they give us an opportunity to pause and gather our strength before going back out into the fray of everyday life. Whilst it didn’t exactly illuminate my world this was a refreshing study and analysis of a part of life most people would rather live without or simply not talk about. Storr has produced a slim volume extolling the virtue of solitude in a world seemingly dedicated to the opposite. It was about time for such a book to be produced.       

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Does he address the nature of people as social creatures? I'm one who insists on peace and quiet (and solitude) when I get home, though I don't mind being sociable during the day..

CyberKitten said...

sc said: Does he address the nature of people as social creatures?

Not really. Of course he recognises that we are indeed social creatures but this book doesn't really focus on that aspect of our nature.

sc said: I'm one who insists on peace and quiet (and solitude) when I get home, though I don't mind being sociable during the day..

Agreed - but being sociable is part of my present job description so I don't have much choice... [grin]