About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 11, 2011



Just Finished Reading: Why Evolution is True by Jerry A Coyne

As the author rightly points out early on, this is a book that should not have needed to be written. However, because opposition to Darwin’s great idea is so widespread (and possibly growing) he felt that his hand was forced. Normally I wouldn’t read this sort of book. All too often I find author’s who are basically preaching to the choir – which couldn’t be more boring. As one who has fully accepted Evolution, and everything that goes with it, it seems rather redundant that I read books in its defence. I did however relent for two reasons – first I had read a review of this book some time ago which sold me on reading it and second I felt that I might have become out of touch with the latest thinking on the subject which could possibly leave me open to the accusation that my ‘belief’ in Evolution is based on nothing more than childhood indoctrination in our secular school system (oh, and Richard Dawkins!).

So, I took this slim volume on my recent holiday and began reading. I need not have worried about it being boring. Far from it, this book was actually rather fascinating and was full of evolutionary quirks and details that intrigued me – for instance that ants are descended from wasps! But I digress…… Throughout the 250 page tract the author lays out, step by step, discovery by discovery, the mountain of evidence to support Darwin’s early idea. In almost everything Darwin was spot on. Where modern evolutionary studies differ – slightly – are in areas where Darwin was completely ignorant, for example in genetics or the mechanics of Continental Drift. After defining evolution (in a whole chapter) Coyne begins with the evidence to support it – the fossils, so-called ‘missing links in the move from aquatic life to land-based creatures and, inevitably, the origin of flight from reptiles to birds (Archaeopteryx being one of the most famous examples of this process) and the rather peculiar evolution of whales from land mammals to the giant sea creatures we see today. There follows an interesting chapter on vestiges (the appendix for example), embryos (and their similarities to ancestral forms and (my particular favourite) examples of bad ‘design’ where evolution has had to ‘make do’ with the available material to construct something else (and often quite different). Next time you choke on something that went ‘down the wrong way’ blame our fish ancestors who’s branchial arches produced their gills and our throat structure. Oh, and ask any surgeon about the mess that is our circulatory system around the heart – you can blame fish for that too!

Of course I have no intention of paraphrasing the entire book – even if I could – but needless to say it bolstered my already firm acceptance of Darwin’s evolutionary theory (which is also a fact – or as near as we get in science). Of course if it was only a matter of argument and evidence it would be ‘case closed’. Unfortunately it’s not quite that simple. As the author stated late on after giving a talk to American businessmen who had been very impressed by his presentation but still unconvinced, it’s not about the bones or the DNA its about the persons beliefs and how acceptance of Evolution would challenge or even change them. This, of course, totally negates one possible reason why this book has been written at all. It will never convince those who do not base their beliefs (for want of a better word) on evidence, reason or fact. It will however certainly support those who might already accept evolution without fully understanding it and may convince those who are wavering on the sidelines. All in all this is a very interesting and very well presented book on a central topic. It’s definitely worth the time and possible effort to read it – even if you’re already a believer.      

4 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

I probably should have started off with something like this. Instead I purchased Dawkins' The Selfish Gene which, although has a lot to do with my work on the evolution of morality, has two whole chapters which are meant to introduce the reader to the mechanics of evolution. Dawkins starts off at a genetic level and I found it all a little confusing. Might have to start off with something lighter like this for a basic knowledge of the science of evolution.

wstachour said...

I read this a while back. Coyne also has a blog (by the same name: Why Evolution is True) and writes well, obviously. I think I've read a few too many evolution primers, as I neither need introduction to the principles nor ammunition for battles with theists. But it was still a good read.

VV said...

Darn it, another book to put on my list. I'm still 2 yrs behind on my reading. It definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in reading. It reminds me of the evolution poster I saw a while back, you may have posted it, where it has the Darwin fish, with "We've got the fossils. We win." plastered above it.

CyberKitten said...

TF said: Might have to start off with something lighter like this for a basic knowledge of the science of evolution.

Oh, I wouldn't call this 'light' just well explained and well written. It won't give you much on the genetics of morality though....

wunelle said: I think I've read a few too many evolution primers, as I neither need introduction to the principles nor ammunition for battles with theists.

Indeed. All you really need is the ability to reason with the evidence.....

wunelle said: But it was still a good read.

Agreed.

V V said: Darn it, another book to put on my list. I'm still 2 yrs behind on my reading.

Oh, I *wish* I only had a 2 year backlog... Nope, only kidding!

V V said: It reminds me of the evolution poster I saw a while back, you may have posted it, where it has the Darwin fish, with "We've got the fossils. We win." plastered above it.

I did post something like that some months ago - but then I would, wouldn't I? [rotflmao]