About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 19, 2011


Just Couldn’t Finish Reading: Catholicism – A Very Short Introduction by Gerald O’Collins

I have been accused (more than once) of simply not understanding religion which is the reason I laugh and poke fun at it as if it makes no sense. I have also been accused (more than once) of being an Atheist because of my ignorance. If only I made the effort to understand (I am told) rather being simply dismissive I would appreciate the religious viewpoint more and decide to join them. There is at lest some truth in these statements. I am largely ignorant of the religious viewpoint on things. I have never lived inside ‘the bubble’ (as I call it) that religious people seem to inhabit. I have tried, from outside the bubble, to understand exactly where they’re coming from. Even in Europe it’s hard not to come across religious people from time to time and just like rats you are never that far from a church of one denomination or another. So having a general understanding of religion in all its myriad forms can come in handy when you try to understand the world around you. After all the past at least has been deeply shaped by religious considerations and if we do not understand the past it makes understanding the present and the future much more difficult.

To finally arrive at the point I’m trying to make I’ve made another (unfortunately abortive) attempt to understand at least a small part of the religious spectrum by reading this book on Catholicism. As a nominal member of that particular faith (having been baptised into it at a very early age) I thought that after 50 or so years it was about time I learnt something about it. There is however no need to worry – the possibility of me becoming a practicing Catholic in the foreseeable future is rather more unlikely than the imminent discovery of the Higgs boson. So I tried to read a 126 page book on the basics of the Catholic faith that was part of a series of books I hold in high regard. I made it to page 72 before I realised that I couldn’t really go on with it. When I thought about reviewing it here I realised at that point that I had no clear idea what those 72 pages had said. Most of it was, at least to me, incomprehensible gibberish. It was clearly not aimed at the non-Christian reader as I found assumption piled on unvoiced definition which lost me at every turn. I thought that maybe if I read a bit further some sort of explanation would be presented and everything would fall into place. Maybe at some point after page 72 such an epiphany might indeed have taken place. I guess that I’ll never find out. This may be a useful, informative and even well written book for those with a Christian mindset but for someone who’s knowledge of the whole area is rather scanty at best it was basically a waste of paper. At least I tried, that’s something I suppose. 

4 comments:

Stephen said...

I had the same experience with a couple of the Catholic books I tried. The argument that we're atheists or nonreligious because we're uninformed is...almost funny. Frankly, the more people know about comparative religion, the less likely they're apt to choose one over the other...having seen that they share the same strengths and weaknesses, for the most part

CRL said...

Oh, don't worry. Nine years of Catholic schooling, and it still makes very little sense. (Though perhaps that was because I started taking religion class as a good time to do all of my other homework.)

VV said...

Having studied numerous religions, trying to find a root truth among them, I can say that I understand your frustration. There are a lot of assumptions and suspension of disbelief that you have to have to get into religious thought. From my study, a lot of religions freely steal from one another and then claim to have the ultimate truth in their possession. Some of the stories they tell as the basis for their beliefs are also pretty strange and hard to swallow. There's also little to no proof for the "truths" they espouse. If you have a rational, thinking mind, you will likely stumble frequently on the shaky premises a lot of these religions have. You will ask questions because a lot of what these religions want you to accept without question, simply make no rational sense in a modern world where science has raised the bar and requires proof for assumptions. I believe there is a Creator for all of this life, this universe, but I don't believe most of the nonsensical stories organized religions try to feed us.

CyberKitten said...

I'm glad it's not just me being particularly thick [laughs].

sc said: Frankly, the more people know about comparative religion, the less likely they're apt to choose one over the other.

I think the great religious decline in the UK was definitely helped by the teaching of comparative religions in school.

CRL said: Oh, don't worry. Nine years of Catholic schooling, and it still makes very little sense.

[grin]

v v said: I believe there is a Creator for all of this life, this universe, but I don't believe most of the nonsensical stories organized religions try to feed us.

If God did exist I'd imagine that he/she/it would most certainly be way beyond our comprehension. Oddly some religions *say* that but then go on to say the He's doing X because of Y or you need to do Z because He said so etc... If he/she/it *is* beyond our understanding there's nothing we can say about him/her/it. End of story really. Everything else is the most idle speculation you could imagine.