About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, December 17, 2011



Thinking About: Christmas

As some of you will remember last Christmas didn’t work out exactly as planned. Because of heavy snowfall around this time 12 months ago my journey north stopped at the half-way point after being informed that my family had been snowed in – leaving me snowed out. So I decided this year to have my Christmas trip home in September and my actual Christmas here rather than there. Rather typically, apart from a few hail showers and the occasional episode of sleet, we’ve seen no snow here and, as far as I’m aware, not a lot around where my family live. None is forecast until after the middle of next week at the earliest. But so it goes….

So here I am at the beginning of a 17 day break over Christmas and New Year. It’s a break I really needed and I have been looking forward to the time off work for several months now. My plans, such as they are, are simple ones. I’m looking forward to:

Getting up on 17 consecutive days in the daylight without the ‘aid’ of an alarm clock.

Watching around 10 movies on DVD – some of which I haven’t seen before.

Reading 6-8 books. It would’ve been many more (I think I read 12 last year) but as I’m here and not at my Mum’s I have both Internet access and my computer games to occupy my time.

Listening to lots and lots of music.

Having lots of computer game time.

Eating far too many snacks and other things that are generally bad for me. I also picked up some nice real ale and a few bottles of alcoholic ginger beer which I’m looking forward to.

It is, all in all, going to be a very relaxing 17 days. There is even a slim possibility that I might get bored. Fortunately over the years I have become quite adept at entertaining myself. I have also, though necessity, developed a pretty high boredom threshold. By the middle of next week I’ll be fairly humming along, coasting into the New Year and totally chilled by the time I’m back in office on the 3rd Jan…… and relax…. [grin]

5 comments:

dbackdad said...

I'd honestly kill for 17 days off from work. Enjoy!

What are the books that you're taking a bash at?

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: I'd honestly kill for 17 days off from work. Enjoy!

It's been a long time coming! I get 30 paid days leave a year and haven't taken that many off so far. With the weekends and the national holidays I'll only be using up 7 days I think.

dbackdad said: What are the books that you're taking a bash at?

I'm most of the way through a very good Cyberpunk novel which I should finish in the next few days. After that I have 4 more books in the bunch of Future Earth novels I'm reading. I was hoping to finish a book about Catholicism today but I'm starting late due to a headache and it's quite slow reading anyway.... I'm planning on reading a history of the code breakers at Bletchley Park next and then a interesting looking book about the owner of the Titanic who used his position to get a place in the lifeboats and was publicly shunned when he got back to England. After that...... probably some off-the-wall Philosophy..... [grin]

VV said...

We will be home for Christmas. Both of my kids will be here. My daughter is bringing the not so new boyfriend for Christmas. They're talking about moving in together next summer when both of their leases are up. That's very serious for my daughter. Then the day after Christmas we're going to Florida for a week with M's sister and her family. Don't envy me the sun and the beach though, I'm taking a mound of legal work with me. I have an appellate case to argue Jan. 4th. *sigh*

CyberKitten said...

v v said: Don't envy me the sun and the beach though, I'm taking a mound of legal work with me. I have an appellate case to argue Jan. 4th. *sigh*

Bummer! It's never nice taking work with you on holiday. I know some of my friends do that far too often. Luckily its something I've never had to do.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I'm on an 18 day break. Have fun!