About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, April 05, 2012



Just Finished Reading: Yojokun – Life Lessons from a Samurai by Kaibara Ekiken (Translated by William Scott Wilson)

Many of you will be familiar with the idea that Samurai thought revolves around death – either having an honourable one or delivering a swift one. This book, written by a 17th Century Samurai physician, is from quite the opposite perspective. It’s about the living of a long and healthy life. The lessons are simple and are, rather inevitably, based around Ancient Chinese medicine. Mostly, at least it seemed to me, they revolved around reduction and restriction. Reduce the amount you eat especially of spicy food. Reduce the amount of hours you sleep. Don’t sleep on your back or during the day. Reduce the amount of words you use. Don’t sit or sleep in draughts. Oh, and don’t spit – too far. One interesting and amusing paragraph suggested that you shouldn’t take up the foreign habit of smoking as it is both addictive and expensive. But mostly the advice was obvious, banal or just plain bizarre.

Fortunately the whole thing was in bite sized chunks for easy digestion. I was also intrigued enough to continue reading in the hope that a little gem would be uncovered. I was, unfortunately, disappointed. Although this is an interesting book from a cultural or historical point of view – especially if you have a great interest in the Samurai – I did find it on the whole to be fairly pointless. But remember – I read these kinds of books so you don’t have to.  

2 comments:

VV said...

Oh what a relief, because I'm a spitter, and I would be really bummed if I read it and it told me not to spit. I mean, what do I do with the gob in my mouth if I can't spit?

CyberKitten said...

Well spitting is kind of OK - just don't spit *too* far... [grin]