About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 31, 2012



Just Finished Reading: Plato’s Republic – A Biography by Simon Blackburn

Oddly the author – philosopher Simon Blackburn – starts this discussion of Plato’s Republic with two confessions. Firstly that, before taking on the commission, he had never read the book from cover to cover (nor me yet) and second with the fact that he’s no great fan of Plato (me neither from what I’ve read). So as you can imagine I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect…

What I got was an interesting, informative and at time provocative discussion of many of the themes brought out in this seminal work. I was aware of some of the main themes of the book (even before touching on it slightly on my last University course) and was, seemingly in good company with the author, singularly unimpressed by them. Fortunately for me, because I find the whole idea bizarre and frankly boring, the author didn’t dwell on Platonic Forms. He did however spend a chapter looking at Plato’s Allegory of the Cave and had many of the same problems with it as I did. The majority of this volume, admittedly slim at only 161 pages, focused on the political side of Plato’s ideal city with its rigid caste system, lack of any kind of democratic accountability and the rather strange idea that most forms of art, poetry and theatre should be banned from any society wishing for order on the streets.

I can see why Plato has given ideas to both the far Right and far Left. He was, if the evidence presented in this book is anything to go by, a rigid authoritarian who took little account of personal flourishing, egalitarianism or any of those things we now see as so important to any kind of modern society. Plato was, of course, a product of his time but still cannot be compared favourably with his pupil Aristotle (not exactly a huge fan of Democracy himself) who was far more liberal in his outlook – comparatively speaking. I’ve had a copy of Republic on my shelf for some years but have yet to read it. I will one day but I suspect I will read the complete works of Aristotle before I do! 

2 comments:

Stephen said...

In my younger days I was quite taken with Plato's planned society. I liked the idea of people being put to their best use and making sure everything that needed to be done was done. Very tidy. Of course, that's changed!

Does he dwell much on the idea of philosopher-kings?

CyberKitten said...

Philosopher-kings?

Yup, quite a lot (5 references in the index). IIRC - having read this about 6-7 weeks ago, yes, I'm that far adrift with my reviews - he was highly critical of the whole idea. I can certainly see its appeal but I think that something like the Minds (AI constructs) in Iain Bank's Culture Series of books would be more fitting.