About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Just Finished Reading: Herodotus – A Very Short Introduction by Jennifer T Roberts (FP: 2011)

Yes, it’s Very Short Introduction time again – it does come around quickly doesn’t it? I thought I’d try something a little different this time. Herodotus is known as the ‘father of History’ as he is credited at producing the first book recognisably dealing with History as a subject we could relate to – although this is not without controversy as he mentioned Gods and various other entities or events which we would call supernatural these days. Saying that, of course, should come as little surprise considering the time in which he wrote. To produce such a work in a purely secular manner wouldn’t have just been strange – it would have been extraordinary!

What Herodotus produced was extraordinary enough without going the extra mile to make things more acceptable to a modern European readership. He managed to produce a history of the known world seemingly without too much of the usual Greek flavour (often seen as mere arrogance) of seeing all non-Greek populations as being fundamentally inferior. Herodotus simply wanted to know what the diverse populations and cities outside of the Greek world were like and, more importantly, why they were like that. What circumstances led to their foundation and what events and personalities helped shape them. It was a real investigation into origins, causes and effects. Fundamentally Herodotus was attempting to answer the question of why the disparate cities of the Greek states went to war with the great Persian Empire and why a seemingly inferior culture – measured from outside – prevailed against the world’s greatest super-power at the time. Along the way he found time to discuss the cultures, myths, eating habits, sexual mores and much more besides of every city or region he could visit or interrogate the citizens of.

It all sounds fascinating especially as the author pours what can only be regarded as knowledgeable (though sometimes restrained and sceptical) adoration at the feet of the author of The Histories. I already had a copy of the great work in one of my various piles of books (well, of course I did) but if I hadn’t I would have certainly bought it by now after reading this. Indeed this book has prompted me to re-engage with several sources of Ancient literature which will be filtering through to the Blog over the next few months. Of course The Histories of Herodotus will definitely be one of them. Yet another highly recommended VSI book! 

3 comments:

VV said...

I finished my book on WWI. It was an overview, not detailed like I had hoped. It didn't really give me much that I didn't already know. It had primary documents in the back, so now I'm looking through them, mining them for previously unknown information, to me at least.

CyberKitten said...

Expect lots of WW1 related stuff her over the next year or so....

VV said...

Yeah! Find me interesting details of the war that I don't already know. :-)