About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, September 21, 2017


Just Finished Reading: Embedded by Dan Abnett (FP: 2011)

Jaded journalist Lex Falk knows something is wrong from almost the moment he touches down on Colony Planet Eighty-Six. The Army isn’t even hiding the fact they they’re giving him the run around. Stonewalled and increasingly frustrated Falk is presented with an opportunity to learn what’s really going on in the restricted zone. Only there’s a catch. A Company spy with some questionable motives offers to smuggle him into the war zone where everyone denies actual fighting is taking place – the catch is that he’ll be embedded, literally, in the head of a soldier being sent directly to the front line. It’s never been tried before and, because the balloon has just gone up, there’s no time to test the technology or Falk’s compatibility. Did he still want to go? Of course he does! At first, once he got used to looking through someone else’s eyes, it’s like a dream come true. He’s now the only reporter ‘in country’ and is guaranteed to get his exclusive. As the choppers drop him and his team off to investigate a forward post for enemy activity the unthinkable happens – the team are attacked by heavily armed and well trained soldiers. These are no local rebels with a grudge, these are front line Special Forces troops from The Bloc and they’re not taking prisoners – as Falk finds out to his cost when his soldier host is shot and fatally wounded. Waking up in an open grave surrounded by the dead colonists and members of his own team Falk realises that this is no longer an assignment he can just call in. This is a matter of life and death – the problem is, he’s already dead. So what does he do now?

I was fully expecting this piece of Combat SF to be entertaining but essentially disposable stuff. What a surprise it was then when it turned out to be well written, with great characters, visceral combat set-pieces, fascinating technology and a clear understanding of the military mind. If the author had never been in a combat zone he has definitely spoken at length to people who have. His ‘American’ soldiers just felt real – how they spoke to each other (LOTS of swearing some of it very funny indeed), how they acted and how they coped (or not) with the rigours of intense close action combat that none of them had expected. The character development of Falk from the frightened reporter to the highly useful combat soldier – care of his hosts memories and especially ‘muscle memory’ was very well handled and the author never lost the ever-so important suspension of disbelief. I did find myself whizzing through this at a great pace as I could barely put it down once I dived in each time. A seriously fun read if you’re a hard combat SF fan with plenty of action and excitement to keep you on the edge of your seat – oh, and a pretty good ending too. I definitely need to read more SF soon. Highly recommended.        

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Whoa, so...transplanted consciousness? Definitely an interesting idea to play around with.

Fred said...

Sounds like a good one. I'll add it to my search list.

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: Yes, exactly that. I thought it very well done from lots of angles.

@ Fred: I think part of it was that I went in with fairly low expectations. But it was actually a very well constructed novel. I enjoyed it lots.

Brian Joseph said...

This looks fun. I read a few books like this one a long time ago, they were enjoyable.

It is nice when a book shows more substance then expected.

I am also trying to read more science fiction.

CyberKitten said...

I used to read SF almost exclusively when I was (much) younger. These days SF seems to be a pretty rare read for me. The book did surprise me in a good way which was an unexpected additional pleasure.

My next batch (coming very soon) are crime novels followed by a batch of 20th Century classics. Not much SF from me in the near future but I'm going to try to at least sneak a few in somewhere!