About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, September 04, 2017


Just Finished Reading: Future Crimes: Inside the Digital Underground and the Battle for our Connected World (or Everything is Connected, Everyone is Vulnerable and What we can Do About it) by Marc Goodman (FP: 2015)

I’d been looking forward to reading this for some time. It had been sitting on my Amazon Wish List for a while and I’d been feeling that my reading had been focusing too much on the past and not enough on the future. Also I’d read Stephen’s review some time ago as well as his other reviews on Technological based books so felt that particular itch needed some scratching. That probably accounts for my initial disappointment.

For about the first quarter of the book the author (knowledgeable in the field of the criminal use of technology) lays on an apocalyptic vision of criminals, hackers out for fun, terrorists and spooks from governments across the world with the skills and drive to covertly enter any connected system on the planet – including critical infrastructure, banks, credit companies, online retailers and even the smart phone in your hand and essentially do anything they wanted: shut down airports, steal identities, read you e-mail, use your credit cards and generally mess things up and here’s the rub: There’s really nothing that either you or your government can do to stop them. Yes, the criminals are that good (or that tuned in) and the authorities are that far behind the curve that they’re still trying to build cases and arrest people IRL (that’s In Real Life) on the street caught in the act of typing code on their laptop. The text is relentless, case after case after case – some you’ll have heard of, some you won’t have as they affected a single person. At this point you would expect the panic to set in and the sound of connected equipment being switched off spreading across the globe. But I couldn’t help thinking: hold on a minute – if our systems are so vulnerable, and our defences so poor and, at the same time, the baddies are so powerful and so bad then why are the lights still on? If poorly protected systems are under sustained and powerful attack why aren’t they off-line more often or, you know, at all? OK, companies and individuals are being hacked and countless millions of credit card details are being stolen, viruses are being spread and, occasionally causing various degrees of havoc but still it’s not exactly the end of the world here.

So I read further with a heavy dose of scepticism along for the ride. After that things got better and he started making much more sense. He’s right that on-line security isn’t exactly high on many people’s lists. I’ve known people who proudly say that they’ve never installed Anti-Virus software on their PC because they didn’t see the point – and anyway they’ve never had a virus yet (OK, how would they know?). I know that most people pick really crap passwords for their accounts and use them across multiple sites. I know that most people (around 85% apparently) never change or even check the default settings on their smart phones and them load them with personal data. What I think is worse is that I’ve discussed privacy issues with people who have Facebook accounts and you know what? They simply don’t care. They don’t care that companies like Facebook and many others sell your data on the open market which makes it easier for advertisers to target you specifically – and that’s just the upside of the lack of privacy!

I try to keep my book reviews to a single side of A4 ‘paper’ as it helps to concentrate the mind and I honestly don’t want to bore people with possibly unfocused and rambling praise or criticism. As this book approached 600 pages in length there’s just no way I’m going to (or want to) even precis his main arguments. What I will do is give you my impression of the good and the bad points of the book overall. I’ll start with the good: This is definitely a topic that needs a much wider recognition and attention paid to it. The latest wave of technological wonders we seem to be completely entranced with is only the beginning. What we are ignoring are the risks and the downsides which this book make abundantly clear. The author highlights what is happening right now and what steps (there actually are some!) that we as individuals and the software companies, on-line retailers and governments can do to at least reduce any damage the bad guys can do whilst we, as a society, get our act together and stop being so naïve where technology is concerned.

Now the bad points: I could go on but I’ll be as brief as I can be. The style of the book, most especially at the beginning, is at best poor. I know what the author was trying to do. He was trying to frighten people into taking the topic seriously and paying due attention to the problem. Shouting that the world is coming to an end was, I felt, more than a little counterproductive. The author used hundreds of examples of crime, technical innovations, or criminals with in excess of 90-95% of them based in the US. After a while this got more than a little wearing. Places outside the US exist and are quite technically advanced. His use of the euphemism ‘Crime Inc’ made it appear that there is some kind of global organised crime organisation bent on robbing the whole planet. I seriously doubt if such a thing is even possible. Sure organised crime exists. That’s a given. Sure some parts of it co-operate and assist other parts but this isn’t a stand-up fight between Good and Evil. The book was far too long and used far too many examples to back his points – of which there are probably only two or three at most. It could have easily been 100 or even 200 pages shorter without any loss of impact. I think he was best on his discussion of the upcoming Internet of Things and the use (and abuse) of Big Data. He should really have stopped there rather than moving off into speculation on the future use of robotics, gene splicing and AI. OK, we all like a bit of speculation from time to time but his point, yet again, was to instil fear (although no doubt he’d view it as caution) in his readership. A very mixed book I thought. Too sensationalist when it needed to be sober and far too repetitive. But he did have good things to say too and, if you have the metal and the patience, you can find some good advice in amongst all the scare stories that could possibly save you some grief in the future.

5 comments:

Mudpuddle said...

tx for plowing thru all that to glean out the little bit of worthwhile info... i can only think that when authors or speakers write/talk like that, they must be very afraid that no one will listen to them... a calm demeanor would be more convincing, imo... in my experience, events in the future are always a surprise, anyway, no matter how much fretting a person does concerning possibilities...

CyberKitten said...

I think there's a potentially good book in there - it's just not this one. The concerns are real and the problem does exist but I think that this book would be a lot better if it had been better crafted and more targeted. It came across very much like a sawn-off shotgun. Very effective close up but largely useless against a variety of targets at a range of distances.

The future seems to be coming at us faster and faster each year. Some of that is an illusion (especially to us 'oldies') and most of the rest is manufactured. We are repeatedly told that we are time poor so need to use the latest technology to keep ahead of an accelerating 24/7 culture. This is, naturally, complete bullshit. The main reasons people have so little free time to just sit and contemplate the world, read a book or simply relax is because they constantly fill any void that occurs because they're afraid they'll miss something and be 'left out' or 'left behind'. Of course if you reject that kind of thinking you actually have as much free time as you want - because you're not trying to juggle six activities at the same time. I think a huge step forward for anyone feeling overwhelmed either by technology or life in general is to ditch their 'smart' phone. But hey, my friends call me a Luddite for a reason... [lol]

Brian Joseph said...

Great review of this book.

I find these things fascinating. I think that I would get a lot out of this book even if I did not agree with the author on everything.

My take is that there are holes in the infrastructure of the digital world. These holes will be exploited by the bad guys. Some bad things may happen that may surprise a lot of people. But I agree that things are likely no where near as bad as the pessimists make it out to be.

Stephen said...

I ate this book up, as I remember -- I suppose it's my 'true crime' sweet spot.

CyberKitten said...

@ Brian: There's a lot in there. Probably enough ideas for 100 novels to start with! He was trying to make a point and ended up over-making it (IMO) to the detriment of the book. Maybe I'm actually more optimistic that I thought.... Go Figure!

@ Stephen: Indeed you did! I re-read your review (twice actually) after I'd finished it to remind me what you thought of it.

Two more future focused books to come....