About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Just Finished Reading: Revolutions – A Very Short Introduction by Jack A Goldstone (FP: 2014)

Of course with my interest in all things revolutionary this was a must read for me. With so much ground to cover I hoped that it could provide me with some much needed perspective. Interestingly, and before moving on to various categories of revolution, once definitions had largely been put to bed the author concentrated on the process of revolution – their causes, their leaders and their outcomes. It became very clear that although the underlying causes of revolution seem, at first sight, to be essentially straight forward the fact that revolutions are rare events – never mind successful revolutions which are even rarer – illustrates the case that it is the complex interactions between these ‘simple’ elements that enable revolutions to periodically disrupt everything they touch.

The historical examples outlined in the book are categorised to illustrate the authors recurring themes: there are the Constitutional Revolutions in America, France, Europe (1830 and 1848) as well as Meiji Japan. There are the ideologically driven Communist Revolutions in Russia, China and Cuba. There are Revolutions dedicated to the overthrow of tyrants and dictators as in Mexico, Nicaragua and Iran (more of which later), the so-called ‘Colour’ Revolutions in the Philippines, Eastern Europe, the USSR and Ukraine and the recent Arab Revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Syria.

Revolution, as we can see on our television screens, is still very much with us. It is a present phenomenon not an historical phenomena. Revolutions are most certainly not over and we can expect more to erupt in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Where people are oppressed, where economies are failing, where dictators rule, where ideology grows and where foreign interests encourage it the possibility, indeed the likelihood of Revolution – violent or otherwise – exists in its infant form right now. Revolutions come as a surprise, sometimes to the revolutionaries themselves, because no one, either inside or outside the country can see all of its elements in enough detail simultaneously. Only generally in retrospect can we see all of the elements working together to produce the final surprising outcome. That’s one reason why Revolutions are so fascinating.

This was another hit for me from the most impressive VSI Series by Oxford University Press. This is actually the last VSI book I own presently so I’ll be buying more next year. I’ll see if I can push the boat out a bit and challenge myself to explore the waters outside my usual comfort zone. With VSI I doubt if I’ll be disappointed by taking the risk.       

7 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Great post as always.

I love history. I love books that wrestle witn big subjects. I also tend to be interested in revolutions.

This is indeed a big subject with a lot of ground to cover. Studying just a single revolution could consume a lifetime.

Mudpuddle said...

well, i think i see the seeds of revolution becoming clearer by the day in this country; this is the most hated government in decades if not centuries...

CyberKitten said...

@ Brian: Thanks. I'm not 100% sure (probably something in my childhood) but rebellion and resistance in particular hold a great fascination for me. You'll certainly be seeing much more on those subjects in the coming year(s). You could indeed spend many years going into the intricate detail of a single revolution - I'm sure that you could fill libraries with works on the French or Russian Revolutions - and you would no doubt learn a great deal during the journey.

@ Mudpuddle: I can certainly see a lot of unrest coming your way. I guess that it will depend on how the mid-terms go and who will be the candidates for the next election. I can't see Trump standing down, can you? But the Democrats really need to sort themselves out this time. Could the world cope with 8 years of Trump as President?

VV said...

I constantly worry about the imbecile in chief doing something dangerous we can't come back from, and the corporate whores in Congress aren't doing a thing to make things better. I worry we're seeing the finals stages of this democratic republic experiment. I can see us heading toward either civil war or revolution.

Mudpuddle said...

i'm with VV; it's something i never though i'd see in my lifetime...

CyberKitten said...

I can only comment from what I've seen from this side of the pond. It does very much appear that your political system is in a mess and there's definitely a lot of animosity between both sides (fairly equally split it seems) but I think you're a way from anything that could be called revolutionary quite yet. Now impeachment.... that's something else especially after the new rumblings coming from the Flynn admissions!

VV said...

We're all hoping for something big from Flynn's testimony. All I want for Christmas is impeachment.