About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, April 05, 2018


Just Couldn’t Finish Reading: The Crowd – A Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave Le Bon (FP: 1895)

This was billed as ‘one of the most influential works of Social Psychology in history’ and as being instrumental in creating a whole field of study – which, presumably, led to what we now call Sociology. From the 60 pages I managed (out of a total of 139 in my edition) I can see who that was the case. The author makes a determined effort to look at crowds from a scientific viewpoint and to actually understand why they behave in certain ways. As he was essentially creating a field of study the narrative was a bit of a mish-mash of schools of thought – inevitably – including biology, psychology, cultural studies and history (plus a bit of law thrown in for good measure). This is pretty much what I expected.

What I had real trouble with, and a major reason why I couldn’t finish this short book – which I had fully expected to polish off in a few days at least – was the archaic world view that kept getting in the way of the investigation in hand. Most noticeably was the superior attitude to both the white and, generally, European ‘race’. At first I could ignore the swipes at other ‘races’ particular ‘Latins’ but it quickly wore rather thin. Likewise his far from hidden disparagement of women – at first rather ‘amusing’ became quickly less so. In quite quick order my interest and therefore reading speed dropped substantially and after heroic efforts to get 60 pages in just couldn’t face another 80+ ahead of me. That’s a shame really. I’ve read other books from this era that were not anything like as racist nor misogynistic as this. It’s possibly the fact that it was from a French author but probably more likely just a sign of the times. Luckily I had intended buying another book of his on the psychology of revolutions but had yet to do so. Ironically I think I’ve dodged a bullet on that one. Obviously not recommended.   

6 comments:

Mudpuddle said...

i haven't heard of this author, naturally, but i definitely agree that there's no point in reading stultifying books...

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Disappointing, as it seems like a subject that would be interesting. On to the next!

Stephen said...

A French author racist against Latins? Must be from northern France...

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: I found myself struggling through 10 pages a day.... TEN. I just couldn't face another WEEK with that book! [lol]

@ Sarah: Oh, the subject would be fascinating. Even a 19th century view of the subject would be so.... Just not THIS one! [grin]

@ Stephen: He was born 56 kilometres west of Chartres... So, yes, Northern French! [rotflmao]

Stephen said...

I've read somewhere that the north of France, and especially the northeast, wasn't as "Romanized" as the rest of France, and that the cultures were markedly different. It probably helps to have the behemoth that is Paris up there...

CyberKitten said...

I believe that parts of France remained (and still are I think) very Celtic. I think France was only unified as a country - geographically at least - in the 15th? or 16th? century. Cultural integration took a lot longer than that. Maybe they're still working on it. Then again, even somewhere as small as England (never mind the wider UK) has different cultures in different regions. We still talk about the North/South divide - and it's definitely real!