About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, August 20, 2018


A Change of Direction – To Infinity & Beyond!

A few weeks ago I was presented with a choice. I could continue on with things that had been in place for years or I could strike out on my own into pastures new. Partially due to good timing and part due to cost (and a recommendation from a friend) I changed my ‘go to’ game from World of Warcraft to No Man’s Sky (Next).

I have to admit it was a risk, if a small one – a mere £20. When the game originally came out in 2016 it promised much – the entire Universe actually – and pretty much failed to deliver. Here, two years later, they seem to have got it right. Not that I thought so to begin with! The game is touted as a ‘survival sandbox’, something that I had honestly never heard of before. But when I loaded into a new game I found out – fast. Actually I learnt what it was all about in the first 8 minutes before dying horribly. You see when you ‘spawn’ there’s a very good chance you’re on a planet that is trying to kill you – either with heat, cold, radiation or toxicity. Mine was radiation. I started in a damaged spacesuit, an unknown distance from my ship (if I had one!) with no idea what to do about the warning ‘radiation protection falling’ screaming in my area. After trying to find something (anything) to keep me alive I keeled over dead. EIGHT minutes into the game and I had failed in my primary objective of staying alive. It wasn’t exactly a great beginning to exploring the galaxy. My (primary gaming) friend was less than impressed. He downloaded it the same day. Likewise died after 8 minutes and hasn’t playing it since. Meanwhile I have racked up around 60 hours and have only died twice more (possibly three time) in all that time. Once was through my own stupidity (eaten alive by ‘biological horrors’) and the other was in a space battle with pirates (outnumbered and outgunned).

But in those 60 hours…. Well, I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe…… But first I had to fix my ship (whilst keeping alive which turned out to be comparatively easy once you know how), fuel it and get off the radioactive rock I started on. Once in space I looked for somewhere a bit more hospitable. It was here that I realised something that should have been obvious. There might be LOTS of planets out there – according to some there 18 Quadrillion in the game (that’s 858 BILLION years of gaming if you land on each one for 1 second) – but the vast majority of them are not exactly nice places to be. Even the nice ones – one of which was labelled a ‘paradise planet’ – might have periodic dangerous or deadly storms. I think of around 35+ planets so far only one could be called Earth-like apart from, that is, the colour of the vegetation or the WEIRD lifeforms wandering around.
That is, of course, where things get interesting. I LOVE exploring and poking my nose into things. I want to see what’s over the next hill, what’s under that stone, what’s in that cave. So it’s kind of the game for me really. Plus there’s a mystery at the heart of it all. I’ve decided not to follow the main story (yet anyway) but you can’t but help coming across strange abandoned installations where, obviously, something BAD happened years or even centuries ago. But what was it? Where is everyone and what’s that pulsating gloop on the console screen……? I want to know. I’m formulating theories but I might just have to go to the centre of the galaxy to find out. With limited warp capability (so far) that could take a while.

But, so far at least, things are pretty peachy. I haven’t died for a while, I’ve seen some very impressive landscapes, some TOTALLY strange fauna, made a bit of money (who knew that SALT was so tradable), traded in some ‘junkers’ for reasonably swish (and working) star ships and I’m finding my space legs. Jumping across 100 light years no longer ‘phases’ me and I’m getting to love desert planets (apart from those superheated dust storms – those I can live without). Over every hill I wonder what I might find and who I could sell it too. You never know… One day I might even bump into another player but the odds are WAY against it…..     

8 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I bought No Man's Sky during a Steam sale, for around what you paid. I haven't touched it yet. I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online and WoW. I haven't seen any of the new content in WoW yet, as I don't have any characters that are 110. Two are close, but I rolled a human Warlock and she's level 37 now. I also rolled a Pandaren priest (going shadow), but she's under level 20. Due to recent events in WoW, I'm sticking with the Alliance.

CyberKitten said...

I have 16 characters - 8 Horde and 8 Alliance (on two separate servers). All are 110. They're a variety of races and styles but I don't have any healing classes - not my thing. My 'main' changes from time to time but I always enjoyed the magic users and also the 'new' Demon Hunters who are a lot of fun to play.

I won't be playing it for a while though. At least 6 months I'd say.

Stephen said...

Is WoW still one of those pay-per-month games? That always deterred me from MMOs in general.

The game you're now exploring sounds really interesting, CK. Hadn't heard of it at all. I'm not exactly tuned into modern gaming, though! Do you rely on any particular places for news/reviews?

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I haven't played a healer since Everquest Online Adventures for the Sony PS2. This is why: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/98nidw/listen_to_your_healers/

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: Yes, WoW is still a subscription game. Like you I said I'd never 'rent' a game. Then I got hooked.... [grin]

I'd heard a lot about NMS when it first came out (actually before it came out) but once I heard about the disappointment I didn't buy it. I only heard of NEXT when I friend told me it was on sale on Steam and he'd bought it and really liked it. I gave it some thought & took the plunge. I haven't regretted it at all.

I don't cruise any review sites or listen to YouTube gamers at all. I hear about things in passing from adverts, shop presentations or chatting to my gamer buddies. I probably miss a lot that way but I never have more that 2 games going at once. Time is far too short for that!

@ Mike: Healers have far too much responsibility in dungeons and ALWAYS get blamed for a wipe. No way am I doing that. I like to be in the back as ranged DPS. My Frost Mage could really throw out the deeps so I got by when I actually dungeoned - usually with the guys & a pug. Soloing isn't really for healers either. I'm purely DPS (mostly ranged).

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I almost never do dungeons in any MMO, Can't stand PUGs and few of my friends play regularly.

CyberKitten said...

I'm not a huge dungeon fan myself. I was only persuaded into them by friends. I never really saw the point of doing the same one time & time again for higher level kit you'd get eventually anyway. I'm a solo player very much.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Same here, except when it comes to mounts. I used to run low-level dungeons and raids solo if there were mounts involved. I have some that are pretty rare, including Rivendare's Deathcharger. I've heard due to the new level scaling that those dungeons and raids can take much longer now solo.