About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Banning out-of-hours email 'could harm employee wellbeing'

From The BBC

18 October 2019

Banning staff from accessing their work emails outside office hours could do more harm than good to employee wellbeing, a study suggests. University of Sussex researchers found while a ban could help some staff switch off, it could also stop people achieving work goals, causing stress. Companies are increasingly curbing email use to tackle burnout. France has even legislated on the issue. But human resources body CIPD said it agreed with the university's findings. According to the research, strict policies on email use could be harmful to employees with "high levels of anxiety and neuroticism".

That was because such employees needed to feel free to respond to a "growing accumulation of emails", or they could end up feeling even more stressed and overloaded, the researchers said. Dr Emma Russell, a senior lecturer in management at the University of Sussex Business School, said despite the best intentions of policies limiting email use, a one-size-fits-all approach should be avoided. "[Blanket bans] would be unlikely to be welcomed by employees who prioritise work performance goals and who would prefer to attend to work outside of hours if it helps them get their tasks completed. People need to deal with email in the way that suits their personality and their goal priorities in order to feel like they are adequately managing their workload." Companies to have restricted email use include German carmaker Volkswagen, which has configured its servers so emails can be sent to employees' phones from half an hour before the working day begins to half an hour after it ends only and not at all during weekends. And, last year, Lidl bosses in Belgium banned all internal email traffic between 18:00 and 07:00 to help staff clear their minds and enjoy time off.

Governments are now looking at implementing the policies more widely. A law passed in France in 2017 requires companies with more than 50 employees to establish hours when staff should not send or answer emails, although some doubt everyone will follow the rules. And, earlier this year, New York City discussed proposals to become the first city in the US to grant employees the "right to disconnect" after work. At the time, Rafael L Espinal Jr, who proposed the idea, said: "Technology has really blurred the lines between our work hours and personal time." But, on Thursday, CIPD head of public policy Ben Willmott told BBC News: "Simply banning the use of emails out of hours may actually make some people more stressed because they would like to, or need to, work flexibly. Employers need to provide clear guidance on remote working, including on the use of email and other forms of digital communication, to ensure that if people are accessing emails out of hours they are doing so because it suits them."

[Every time I get an e-mail at work either sent over the weekend or particularly early/late in the day I challenge it – even if it comes from the Boss. I ask if they’re being paid for this extra work or simply why they’re sending e-mails during what should be their down time. I remind them that ultimately no one will thank them for their extra work, that they are normalising working for free (and therefore pressurising others to do likewise) and that doing so damages their health, relationships and probably much else besides. I raised this issue when we became a more mobile organisation by being given personal business laptops and mobile phones. I see it more and more that people shrug when I remind them that they’re working outside their contracted hours. I’m amazed at just how many people don’t seem to care. Weird.] 

5 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i have a bit of difficulty with putting this under any sort of legal aegis... ought to be more democratic, maybe, so each association can determine its own regimen?

Judy Krueger said...

I tend to agree with mudpuddle. Too much regulation. But then my main outlook on life is something I call Optimistic Anarchy. I do see that my husband gets continuous emails at all hours and sometimes that keeps him in a state close to anxiety or being "worked up." Then I get "worked up" because he doesn't hear a thing I say when he is reading/answering all those emails. Ha ha. Still I think each individual has the ability to work these things out for themselves.

Stephen said...

Personally, when I leave work....I leave work. Every thing to its proper place. I could not work somewhere that took over my life like that. I could see if it was a meaningful vocation, maybe, like being a physician or a counselor or something, but even then....everything to its proper place and in its own season.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

This is interesting. I understand the why, but I think each person should regulate this for themselves. I do not check my work email over the summer. That is my two and a half months of freedom with my daughter and I refuse to do it, until the week before teacher work days begin. I rarely check my email when at home, unless something big was going on that was not resolved at the end of the school day. Otherwise, nope, not going to check.

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: Businesses should definitely have their own policy in place - especially if they value the well-being of their own staff. Staff should also be aware of the policy and what they're letting themselves in for on joining.

@ Judy: I think that the State has a place in regulating this sort of thing under the aegis of worker protection. If the company is exploiting its workforce by expecting them to essentially undertake unpaid work as part of their contract - even by implication - then the government should step in to stop them if necessary.

@ Stephen: Totally agree. I get up from my desk at the end of the day and once I'm walking out the door I won't even turn around to pick up a ringing phone. That sucker is *never* good news!

@ Sarah: Self regulation is good but often not good enough. If you want (or even need) to work extra hours sometimes to get something important done then have at it. Once it becomes *expected* to work extra for free... that's a line being crossed.