About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Wednesday, October 02, 2019

"If there is indeed a human nature, then this is in some ways good news, whatever the postmodernists might think. This is because one fairly consistent feature of that nature has been a resistance to injustice. This is one reason why it is foolish to imagine that the idea of human nature must always work in conservative ways. Surveying the historical record, it is not hard to conclude that political oppression has almost always incited rebellion, however subdued or unsuccessful. There is something in humanity which will not bow meekly to the insolence of power. It is true that power only really succeeds by winning the collusion of its underlings. The evidence, however, is that this collusion is usually partial, ambiguous and provisional. Ruling classes are generally more tolerated than admired. If our nature is purely cultural, then there is no reason why political regimes should not mould us into accepting their authority without question. That they often find this extraordinarily difficult to do testifies to sources of resistance which run deeper than local cultures."

Terry Eagleton, Why Marx Was Right (2011)   

4 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

One of my favorite subjects. I think the evidence is overwhelming that human nature is real. I highly recommend Steven Pinker’s The Blank Slate for more on this.

Eagleton seems like an interesting thinker, I should give him a read.

mudpuddle said...

a sane pov... still, i suspect that tribal behavior has a lot to doo with it...

CyberKitten said...

@ Brian: I' think you'd find this book interesting (review shortly) and I'd like to see your take on it. Not sure what some of your Blog readership would think of you reveiwing a positive Marxist book though. Here they expect that sort of thing.

@ Mudpuddle: Indeed. Tribes are important but I try to see above (and through) the local fray.

Judy Krueger said...

I agree with the author.