About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, August 31, 2020

Just Finished Reading: A Vengeful Longing by R N Morris (FP: 2008)

 

St Petersburg, Russia. Summer 1868. Police Investigator Porfiry Petrovich is not happy, not happy at all. The stink from the canal was getting worse, he was convinced of it. Despite his written protests still nothing had been done. But at least the latest case would get him and his new assistant out of the city – at least for a little while. Everyone agreed that it was an open and shut case but one had to go through the proper procedures and his new assistant needed to be trained for this sort of thing. A doctor had murdered his young wife who had been accused of adultery. Open and shut. Simple. Chocolates had been procured, poisoned and given as a gift. Open and shut. Simple. So simple that the assistant wondered, out loud, why they were bothering to even talk to the confectioner or even to the doctor who, rather inexplicably, denied everything. As the arguments flew across the office they were interrupted by the announcement of another murder across the city – this time of an old army officer. It was an open and shut case and the perpetrator had already been arrested. The odd thing was that he was denying killing the man in a duel despite being found holding the weapon and talked of receiving a note telling him of the man’s transgression against his daughter. Stranger still was the coincidence – that the officer and doctor knew each other. But it was still an open and shut case. Apart from a few niggling things that bothered the Inspector and the growing number of coincidences and links between the two events. When the report of a third murder arrived on his desk Inspector Petrovich knew it was going to be a long, hot smelly summer….

This is the second of a series of historical mysteries set in late 19th century St Petersburg. I read the first back in 2011. I’ll definitely not wait so long to read the next installment. This is a masterfully well-crafted crime novel Not only is the character of the Inspector SO well done (his name might be familiar to some!) but the whole tone of the novel is extremely well done. Everything about this novel feels real and immediate. It’s as if we are there, standing right next to the characters as they go about their lives and as the Inspector and his new assistant go about their business. Having insights into the detective’s methods (as he teaches them to his minion) is a great way of looking at things as Petrovich uses his brain to figure things out without the props of much in the way of forensics. I also liked, very much, the little insights into Russian society where you can see tiny hints of political upheaval to come. I might be reading too much into things but that’s how it came across. After all the 1905 (attempted) revolution is only just over 35 years away…. If you want to completely lose yourself in a novel, in an investigation and in a time and place outside of your everyday experience this is most definitely the book/series for you. Highly recommended and more to come from both the Inspector and the author.     

Oh, this was the last of my Historical Crime Novel sequence. Up soon, after a few Fantasy (and other) novels will be a sequence of Man Vs Machine novels.... 

 

7 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i read the entire (i think) arkady renko series by Martin Cruz Smith and like those a lot... these sound good also; i'll look for them in the libr... no, i won't... it's closed

CyberKitten said...

Loved the movie of 'Gorky Park' and I've read the first 3 of the Renko novels so far. They're really good (as you know!). This series isn't really much like them but you might well like it/them.

Roger Morris said...

Thank you so much for your review! Sometimes I google myself, what can I say... And sometimes I find stuff I wish I hadn't and occasionally I stumble on a lovely review like this. That book was a long time ago but it's great that it's still finding readers. Roger (RN) Morris

CyberKitten said...

Thanks for visiting Roger - Honoured! [grin].

I occasionally Google myself too (don't we all?). Fortunately I've never found myself but have been surprised by the number of *other* people with my name!

I do sometimes take a LONG time to get around to reading sequences of book (NINE years since the first one!) because I read a LOT of variety. I DO have the other two books in this sequence already though! [lol]. Keep up the *great* work. I'm really enjoying your work.

mudpuddle said...

wow!

Judy Krueger said...

Isn't it so great when an author comes to comment on your blog post? Those books do sound good.

CyberKitten said...

@ Judy: It is indeed great although it does make me worry a bit when I write less than positive reviews! Roger is, I think, my 4th author who's commented here so far. Always a thrill! These books are very good. 2 more in this series to come. Then I'll start in on his other works.