About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, September 12, 2020

The Classics Book Tag


Another one from the ever interesting Book Olive on YouTube..

 

1: What’s an overhyped Classic that you REALLY didn’t like?

That’s easy as I have TWO: The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. What people see in these books and why they are so revered is beyond me.

2: What is your favourite time period to read about?

The 19th Century and WW2

3: What is your favourite Fairy Tale?

I DO so like the Grimm Fairy Tales… Dark is good as they should be. Fairy Tales are teaching aids for children and should be gritty and full of peril.

4: What is THE most embarrassing Classic you haven’t read yet?

Surprisingly I was rather late coming to this reading lark so haven’t read any (I think) of the children’s Classics. I mean to make up for that fairly soon(ish).

5: What are the Top 5 Classics you’d like to read soon?

There still 2 Jane Austin I haven’t managed yet (Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey), I also want to read my way through Dickens which will probably take me the rest of my life! But there are SO many Classics I haven’t read yet it’s hard to say. Definitely 19th century adventure novels and classic crime stories. Most definitely all of the Miss Marple books by Agatha Christie. That’s a MUST.

6: What is your favourite book/series that’s based on a Classic?

Drawing a total blank here – Sorry!

7: What is your favourite movie/TV series based on a Classic?

I’m going to cheat (a bit) here and say Forbidden Planet (based on The Tempest by Shakespeare) and the 1995 BBC adaptation of Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice starring Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennett and Colin Firth as Mr D’Arcy. This TOTALLY ruined my future love life as I was looking for another Lizzie Bennett from then on – and never found her!

8: In your opinion what is the worst Classic to Movie adaptation?

No idea I’m afraid!!

9: What are your favourite Editions that you’d like to collect more Classics from?

I’m not really one for collection specific editions of anything really (though Penguin books always get a look over because of their generally very high quality.

10: What is an under-hyped Classic that you’d recommend to everyone?

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Dracula by Bran Stoker gets all the love but Frankenstein is MUCH better in my opinion.

6 comments:

Stephen said...

I wasn't aware until I started watching booktube, but there are people who go for specific editions and none other. I always buy books used, knowing nothing about them beyond their condition ("Good", etc), so I never know what I'm going to get!

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: Indeed. I'm not that much of a book snob... [lol] I only go so low as 'Good' if a book is particularly hard to get or *really* cheap. If it turns up readable that's OK with me. I have had a few advertised as VERY Good that turned out to be a lot more scrappy than that. I was NOT impressed. Many of the very good actually turned out to be almost as new which is nice. I do prefer new if I can get them though.

Oh, I was looking through a few of my Classics today too (partially prompted by this & your post). I'm seeing if I can schedule a few more before Christmas.

mudpuddle said...

i haven't read either of them in #10... the only thing worse than having to catch up is the opposite...

CyberKitten said...

I'd definitely recommend Frankenstein. Not much gore in that one - plus all very philosophical (unlike the movie versions!).

So many books, so little time said...

I think Frankenstein is one of my keepers. Have you read Dean Koontz Frankenstein series? It seems to be marmite but I am enjoying it so far. xxx

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

CyberKitten said...

Thanks, Lainy & welcome.

Not sure if I've read any Koontz - at least not for several decades! I'll check them out. I post book reviews here every Thursday and (these days) most Monday's too. I'm interested in anything I think will be entertaining or interesting so there's always something new. My interests can be gleaned for the tag list over on the right. Fiction-wise it's mostly SF, Historical & Crime plus anything else I pick up. From a quick spin through your past posts I think there should be enough cross-overs to give you some ideas for future reads.