About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 07, 2020


Just Finished Reading: Wellington by S G P Ward (FP: 1963) [146pp]

Arthur Wellesley, known to posterity as the Duke of Wellington, is most famous for being the head of the combined forces that ultimately defeated Napoleon Bonaparte at Waterloo. However, he did not spring onto the world stage from nowhere. Joining the army in 1787, “by custom reserved for the not so bright younger sons”, he was initially posted to Dublin in a junior staff position before being sent to India in 1797 where his elder brother Richard had just become Governor-General. Involved in various military campaigns Wellesley soon amassed a reputation as a talented strategist and logistician. Returning to England with his brother in 1805 he applied for a further commission and was briefly involved in the war with Denmark in 1807 before being transferred to Portugal in 1808 to prosecute the war against France. Finally expelling the French from Portugal, Wellington pushed on into Spain and subsequently into France itself. The rest, as they say is history, culminating (at the pinnacle of Napoleon’s 100 days after his return to France and command of the French forces) in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. After that….. Wellington did not fade into obscurity. After his successful finale of the Napoleonic Wars he spent some time reorganising and modernising the Army as Master-General of the Ordnance – despite being an arch conservative – before becoming more involved in government despite his reluctance to do so and the sea change from command to compromise eventually becoming Prime Minister in 1828. As PM he was intimately involved in the Catholic Emancipation Act but fell from power in November 1830 over the rising appeal to increase the voting franchise which he was adamantly against.

Despite being a very short work this slim book packed a LOT in. I knew something of Wellington’s early years and was aware of his time in India (partially through the works of Bernard Cornwell) but wasn’t fully aware at just how much he shone in command there. Of course his big challenge was in the Peninsula war where, despite being expected to fail, he exceeded all expectations by not only holding on to Portugal – a seemingly impossible task – but by taking the fight into Spain and subsequently onto Napoleons home turf. It can credibly be argued that Wellington’s successes in Portugal gave the British government enough ammunition to continue with an unpopular and expensive war against the French. Rather surprisingly the author covers his most famous battle – Waterloo – in a mere 6 pages as it “is so familiar it hardly bears repeating”. But what I found particularly interesting is his post-war political career of which I knew almost nothing except that he was, briefly at least, Prime Minister (twice indeed but the second time for only 23 days as ‘caretaker’ in Robert Peel’s absence). His role in Catholic Emancipation – of which more about later – was quite fascinating especially for someone so bound by tradition. All in all this was a surprisingly interesting book. It had, like so many others, been on my shelves for many years unread and unloved and I’m glad I finally got around to it prompted by my musings on reading about British Prime Ministers. Recommended if you can find a copy and more PM’s to come. 

6 comments:

Stephen said...

For several Read of Englands I've thought to read a biography of the Duke, here. This one is an older one but may fit the ticket!

CyberKitten said...

There are probably quite a few more modern books than this out there. This one might be fairly hard to find even for a librarian! [grin]

Oddly I've only recently just read the Sharpe novel covering the invasion of Portugal that this book goes into some detail about. It was great reading the actual history before the novel. Cornwell's narrative was VERY close to the actual events. I was honestly impressed.

Stephen said...

I'm glad to hear that, considering that pretty much ALL of my knowledge about the Peninsular War is drawn from those books!

mudpuddle said...

in spite of his conservative leanings, i've read (somewhere) that he could be quite generous in his personal life. certainly a military genius, also...

Judy Krueger said...

I recently added Cornwell's books to my TBR. (who knows when I will get to them.) So I might add this one too. We are watching The Crown, current season, and up pops Margaret Thatcher. I had no more info about her than that I thought she was horrible. So I looked her up on the Web last night. So confusing! Therefore, a slightly off topic question for you. Do you know of a good biography of her? What did you think of her as PM?

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: Me too, sadly! I real need to read up on the Napoleonic Wars at some point as there are (as we know) quite fascinating. Plus I have SIX Sharpe books coming!!! I'm FINALLY finishing the series before I move onto his other stuff.

@ Mudpuddle: Yes, Wellington was apparently VERY generous especially to old soldiers. Most definitely one of the worlds best military masters.

@ Judy: Maggie is (or can be) a very complicated character. She could be charming when she needed to be but didn't suffer fools and was, when called for, hard as nails. She wasn't known as the Iron Lady for nothing! I'm afraid that I've never read anything about her (yet) so can't recommend anything. There's quite a bit about her out there though but I'm guessing most of it will be fairly partisan as she definitely divided opinion.

I actually voted for her in 1979 (my first national vote) and again in 1983. After that I switched my vote to Labour. I can't honestly say that I hated her although I know a LOT of people who did. You couldn't help but admire her conviction but her government caused SO much damage especially in the North of England. Still to this day just mentioning her name in some areas would probably get you punched. I intend to read about her eventually but that alone will be challenging for me. She's not one to be ignored though. If you want to know about 80's Britain (for example) you HAVE to engage with Thatcher. But that's for another time (for me!).