About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, March 11, 2021


Just Finished Reading: Turn the Ship Around! – A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders by L David Marquet (FP: 2012) [216pp]

A few years back my work had an ‘Innovation’ event and we were all “encouraged” to go along and be ‘inspired’. Having seen this sort of thing before (many times) and suspecting that a) it would a waste of my time and b) wouldn’t change anything anyway I intended to avoid it as much as I could. Walking back through one of the atria full of stands and video presentations I couldn’t help but notice one table with several piles of books on it. Magnets & iron filings come to mind…. So I found myself standing next to said table and chatting to the person running/guarding it. ‘Books’ I grunted, pointing. ‘Yes’ she said. ‘Take?’ I enquired’ ‘Yes’ she said. ‘Free if you share’. So I smiled and I took. Ironically, of course, it’s now been a year since I left work that I get around to reading the second book I picked up. So I’m ‘sharing it’ with you.

I’m one of those lucky people who, despite having been of ‘management’ level never actually had staff or subordinates to ‘manage’. I liked it that way. The stories I could tell about other people’s headaches with their staff members. I went out of my way to avoid such things and never regretted that decision once. So naturally I’d pick up a (admittedly free) book on Management to read. Surprisingly though this was actually rather good. The author was a young naval commander in the US submarine fleet and, consequently, full of ideas for improving things. As XO of a ‘boat’ he’d tried a few of these ideas out and had some mixed results. Itching to take things further he accepted what many might have seen as a poison chalice – taking command of the worst rated boat in the fleet and, in only 6 months, turn the ship around. Not giving too much away here he managed just that – but in a whole host of interesting ways outlined step by step in this slim volume.

The one theme that really jumped out at me and gave me more than one ironic smile or occasional belly laugh, was his discussion on ‘empowerment’. This was a favourite topic at work and ‘empowerment’ talk rippled through my ex-organisation on a regular basis. Naturally they didn’t mean actually giving people more power over what they did or how they structured their day. That, no doubt they thought, would lead to organisational chaos as people went off and did their own thing. What they (my ex-organisation) meant was giving people responsibility for failure. The author recognised this very failing in HIS organisation and addressed it by giving people actual power over what they did – as long as they hit their targets exactly HOW they did so was entirely up to them. Failures still happened but rather than simply apportioning blame and moving on they found out WHY something failed, fixed it, and then disseminated the fix to everyone who needed to know so they could avoid that particular failure. The submarine had become a truly learning organisation.

Even if you’re not the commander of a multi-million dollar submarine or even if you don’t work on one this is still an interesting and likely useful addition to any managers (or subordinates!) off-line reading/training regime. It’ll give you LOTS to think about and maybe, if they let you, try out in YOUR organisation. As interesting, different and thoughtful read. Recommended.        

5 comments:

Judy Krueger said...

I am so glad to be retired! I had lots of jobs. I wasn't one who stuck too long in most of them. I often seemed to rise to near the top=management of one sort or another. For a while I read biographies of persons in management, like auto companies or in the music business. Then there is that special sub-species called government, as in the presidential biographies I have read. Then there is being a mom, married or single, I have done both, which may be the trickiest of all. Giving people power over what they do was my motto.

CyberKitten said...

@ Judy: It's funny that one of my ex-bosses (who I had a lot of time for) asked me if I'd be bored without a job to go to. 'No', I said. 'I don't come here for something to do'. Needless to say that I've hardly been bored for a moment in the last year(ish) even with a zombie apocalypse going on around me.

Work was OK, interesting @ times, fun @ others and I was definitely blessed in my last job with the people I got to work with... But miss it? Not for a second.

mudpuddle said...

i had lots of jobs also until i started working for the gas company as a result of working in the oil field... i was usually the low man on the telephone pole, but since they all left me alone for the most part, i was pretty happy... i used to talk to a few fellow workers about their problems with bosses and systems and was heartily grateful that they all left me alone... (i drove a pickup around from one gas well to another making sure the compressors were functioning okay and fixed them if they weren't... i managed to read all of Shakespeare and Chaucer while driving 5 mph, haha) & Spenser

Stephen said...

This one is frequently requested at the library. Glad to know it passes muster!

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: Reading whilst driving certainly adds an additional level of excitement!! [lol]

@ Stephen: I can understand why. I don't think its one of those books that will transform your life/bank balance though. At least it doesn't claim to make you rich/popular/something else instantly transformative... [lol]