About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

A Shift in Time 

I’m very conscious of reading both historical fiction and history mostly within my comfort zone of the 19th and 20th centuries. As I’ve already alluded to, I’m going to try to do something about that and you should, hopefully, see a generally drift deeper into the past. However, much like a giant oil tanker, it will take both time and effort to change direction. There will no sudden changes of direction, but you should notice a few more pre-19th century books – both fiction and non-fiction showing up here. Partially inspired by Helen over @ She Reads Novels I’ll use 2021 as a baseline to see how I’m doing by the end of the year. So, here it is... 

Fiction: 

Ancient Greece - 2 

17th Century - 1 

19th Century – 11 

20th Century – 5 

Of which... 

WW1 – 2 

WW2 – 1 


Non-Fiction: 

Ancient Greece – 1 

11th Century – 1 

15th Century – 1 

18th Century - 1 

19th Century – 6 

20th Century – 19 

Of which... 

WW2 – 5 

As predicted the list is VERY top heavy in the 19th and 20th centuries. Looks like I have a job to do... [lol] 

10 comments:

mudpuddle said...

"try it you'll like it"... well, i've posted on quite a few oldies and it's gotten me used to excellent prose, and rather spoiled me for modern stuff...

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I will drag you kicking and screaming back to the 9th-12th centuries if I have to, lol. It's where all the coolest people are!

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: These are novels based in that century and non-fiction about that century rather than written *in* that century... although I do love me some 19th century prose.. [grin]

@ Sarah: I'll get there eventually. My next 2 in the review pile are 1927 (non-fiction) and 1805 (fiction).. So 'getting there'... [lol]

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Oh be realistic, you're not even CLOSE! lol

Cleo said...

I argue that all the coolest people are in ancient Greece. Or at least all the sensible people, lol! I'll be waiting to see what you choose. It's always good to expand your horizons!!

CyberKitten said...

@ Sarah: True.. but the oil tanker metaphor... and other excuses... [grin]

@ Cleo: I do find the Ancient World endlessly fascinating but I definitely wouldn't want to LIVE there! Visit - for a short time, maybe - but not live. Hopefully there will be a handful of Ancient stuff being read this year - mostly Rome and Greece (as usual) but I am looking to expand beyond the edges of the Roman Empire at some point!

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Greece is pretty neat, I concur.

Cleo said...

@ Sarah And the 9th-12th centuries are awsome as well!!

@ Cyberkitten Have you seen that Tom @ Wuthering Expectations is doing a read of all the Greek plays this year? You probably wouldn't want to read all of them but one or two might tickle your fancy!

Stephen said...

Now you've got me curious about my own breakdown! Good luck time-traveling...

CyberKitten said...

@ Cleo: Not really into plays that much - at least not *reading* them.. [grin]

@ Stephen: I think it's going to be a slow process unsticking myself from modern times. We'll see... [grin]