About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, January 20, 2022


Just Finished Reading: One Summer – America 1927 by Bill Bryson (FP: 2013) [600pp] 

Using the first successful solo flight across the Atlantic by the young, photogenic and previously unknown pilot Charles Lindbergh as the core story to one amazing summer, the author presents a highly entertaining look at the strange, but strangely familiar world of late 1920’s USA. Looking at the very beginnings of transcontinental flight, organised crime, Prohibition (two things that where most definitely linked at the hip flask), the 1927 World Series baseball winners – the New York Yankees – the birth of the talkies (and the origins of television), the devastating floods in the Mississippi basin, the rise and rise of boxing as a respectable sport and so much else this was a HIGHLY entertaining look at an America starting to figure out its place on the world stage – and whether it wanted that place to begin with! 

The first thing I really have to say is that this was my first Bryson book (yes, I know I’m always late to the party) and I’m regretting waiting so long to take the plunge. Not only did I feel that I learnt a whole lot of interesting facts about the time and place – May to September 1927 – but that I was extremely entertaining along the way. About the only (very minor) niggle I had along the journey was a drip-drip feeling of anything Lindburgh related which, to be honest, was understandable given the way that his achievement was the glue that held the books narrative together! Although I did find the focus on the trials and tribulations of the trans-Atlantic flight attempts very interesting, I was surprised to discover that I derived most of my fun throughout the book whenever the topic turned to Baseball. Now, I’ll be the very first to admit that I have very little – or at least had very little – interest in sport of any kind but the authors description of the 1927 World(s) Series (a title that always makes me smile to be honest) and the great players involved: ‘Babe’ Ruth, Lou Gehrig and others, not only made me wish I could have been in those ballparks watching the homers or at least put on ‘The Natural’ or ‘League of Their Own’ on DVD but made me want to know more, much more about interwar baseball. I mean, how weird is THAT! Needless to say, I have added several titles to my Amazon Wish List on the subject [lol] 

This was a delight to read and, despite being only 2/3 of the way through January, this has already made it into my Best Books of 2022. It certainly didn’t feel like 600 pages, never felt like an effort to pick up (despite its wrist aching size!) and never disappointed. As with all the best history books it left me wanted to know more and had a handy bibliography to help me do just that. I did appreciate that the author looked at both the good and bad during that summer and didn’t shy away from the darker aspects of 1920’s American culture. This certainly wasn’t an example of US jingoistic propaganda I’m come across previously which I’m grateful for. Although this was my first Bryson, I have a feeling it won’t be my last – though I’m not sure I want to find out what he thought of us ‘Brits’ in some of his other books! Most definitely recommended even to my American readers.  

New High Score (since records began 22nd October 2020) 

Average Page Count: 341pp (+2p) 

Previous Record Duration: 10 days. 

9 comments:

Stephen said...

Bryson can be loads of fun when he's not writing as the grumpy perpetually unhappy tourist. Glad you enjoyed your intro to him!

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: I'd heard that about him and was very relieved that he didn't live up to his reputation here.. [grin] If I do read him again it will be with some caution - but this example was excellent I thought.

mudpuddle said...

i've read several of his books and enjoyed them; but i recall starting one i dnfed, altho i can't remember the name of it for the life of me...

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: I've heard he's a bit hit & miss. I'll proceed with caution!

Cleo said...

Guess what? I'm later to the party than you! 🎉 I have his Short History of Everything but I haven't picked it up yet. I love your description of that "drip-drip feeling" .... so effective. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. It gives me hope that my first read won't be disappointing.

Stephen said...

@Cleo That was my first Bryson! More serious than most of his works, though.

CyberKitten said...

@ Cleo & Stephen: I've heard good things about 'Short History' especially as a general introduction to things you might not be familiar with.

VV said...

You should read about the negro league in baseball, some phenomenal players there, plus the back stories of racism and segregation are tragic. Also, Prohibition created the perfect environment for the Mafia to grow exponentially. Their clientele was always a small segment of the population, until the government made criminals of a huge number of the population who just wanted liquor.

CyberKitten said...

@ V V: I'm certainly planning to read more about the 1920's and about baseball. I've added a few books about segregation/race issues to my Wish List which will (hopefully) appearing her at some point. Prohibition was a crazy idea. Pretty much everyone knew it wouldn't work and, as is often the case, made things much worse than before!