About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, March 17, 2022


Just Finished Reading: Daughters of Britannia – The Lives & Times of Diplomatic Wives by Katie Hickman (FP: 1999) [300pp] 

Permanent embassies in foreign lands are, it seems, a relatively modern thing. Before the 17th century a diplomat or ambassador would only be sent abroad to negotiate a treaty or press demands on the part of his monarch. More modern times, with growing trade and other ongoing involvements between nation-states however demanded a more permanent posting. Therefore, embassies sprang up in the capitals of Europe and, later, across the globe. To fill this increasing number of posts the fledgling Foreign Service sent (at least occasionally) its best and brightest to ‘fly the flag’, deter Britain’s enemies and encourage her allies. Naturally these men, and it was exclusively men until very recently, brought their wives and families with them whenever possible. In the most hospitable postings children had few problems and many possibilities to learn new languages and immerse themselves in new cultures. Where the posting was considered dangerous or arduous (especially in regards to the climate) children were often left behind in England as much for their education as their health. Wives were expected to cope both with their husbands posting and their separation from the children. Many became unpaid administrators, embassy managers, social hosts and learnt to be on permanent display. Others saw the opportunity for adventure in far flung places and became explorers and travel writers in their own name. My favourite was the new wife of explorer and diplomat Richard Burton - Isabel Arundel – who, on being notified that her husband was being sent to Brazil, hired experts to teach her to fence and shoot to ‘defend Richard when he gets into trouble’! I’m definitely going to have to read more about *that* couple!  

With the author being a daughter of a diplomat, she certainly had the experience to tease out the lived experiences of diplomatic wives (and families) over the last 500 years. All too often though she was presented with very little to work with as early diplomats left very little written documentation to piece together their lives in any detail. Only from the 18th and definitely from the 19th centuries does the volume of information concerning the activities of wives provide that level of the detail in letters home, published and unpublished diaries and even Foreign Office reporting. Overall, this was an interesting look at an all too often overlooked aspect of the diplomatic ‘trade’ over the centuries. Although I didn’t find it as ‘fascinating’ as some of the reviewers I did find it to be an interesting insight into global diplomacy which has piqued my interest enough to investigate further. Worth a read if you can get hold of a copy.  

5 comments:

Marianne said...

This is the first time I've seen someone reviewing this book, I read it ten years ago (see here), I believe, someone in the book club had suggested it and though it was not chosen, I decided to take it on.

I was just as fascinated as you are with Richard Burton and his wife, we've read books by him before, a highly interesting character and so was his wife.

CyberKitten said...

I actually picked this up a few months ago in one of those little libraries you find around certain neighbourhoods - sort of a take one/leave one kind of thing. It looked interesting and different so I nabbed it. It was an interesting read. I'm always up for stories of women who have (all too often) been forgotten by history.

Agree on the Burtons. A *fascinating* couple! I have a Richard Burton biography (unread) that I should get around to and two more on my Amazon Wish List (one about the couple rather than just Richard). With luck one of my friends will purchase one of them for my upcoming birthday as I've just relocated them to the top of the list! [lol]

Although I'd come across Richard Burton a few times in other readings (about the British Empire or Victorian society plus 'The Great Game') I really became interested in him (somewhat strangely, I agree!) after being exposed to him fictionally in a SF series called 'Riverworld'. I'll see if I can schedule in a Burton biography this year.

Marianne said...

It doesn't really matter how we learn about things as long as we do. I once gave my SIL a card with the Eiffel tower on (I make cards myself) and she told me her little nephew had recognized it. I said that's great. She said, yeah, he learned it through Pokemon (I believe). I said, doesn't matter, he knows it now. My sons learned a lot about science in their computer games.

Anyway, I think the original Richard Burton was a lot more fascinating than the later one. LOL Let me know when you find or get a book about him? Thanks.

CyberKitten said...

The only book I have about him presently is 'Burton' by Byron Farwell. It's rather old (1963) and I've had it for YEARS - though not since the 60's! I'll try to schedule it in this year. I'll let you know if I get either of the other two on my Wish List.

Marianne said...

I haven't heard of that one. Still, even if it was written in 1963, that was well after Burton died. So, it probably is worth reading.