About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, May 21, 2022

Pre-Blog classic Classics – Part 3 

My plan (such as it is) is to read 6 Classics this year. I’ve reviewed one so far with another in my review pile. I’ve got a third coming up in an ‘insert in read pile when appropriate pile’, so I just need to ‘find’ three more – which won’t present ANY problems as I have LOTS to choose from. I’m thinking at some point maybe I could read 10 Classics in a row. It’d be ‘fun’ figuring out what and in what order to keep things fresh and interesting.... [muses]. Anyway, way back in the mists of tome (pre-Blog) I was also trying to read more Classics. As the months/years went by I got better and picking them (I like to think!), so here’s the final pre-Blog Classics list. 

The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M Cain 

The Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger 

Flatland by Edwin A Abbott 

The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler 

Farwell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler 

A Story of Days to Come by H G Wells 

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiel Hammett 

The Lodger by Marie Belloc Lowndes 

The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler 

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut 

The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley 

Land Under England by Joseph O’Neill 

Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward L Beach 

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque 

Why Didn’t They Ask Evans? By Agatha Christie 

The High Window by Raymond Chandler 

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne 

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez 

That’s not a bad list, if I say so myself. Obviously, there’s still HUGE gaps in my Classics reading but I’m looking at that. It’ll be interesting to see exactly where we end up. Onwards!   

5 comments:

Helen said...

I have read the two Christie novels, Around the World in 80 Days and The Catcher in the Rye, but none of the others on your list. There are some big gaps in my classics reading too!

CyberKitten said...

I have two fairly chunky stacks of unread Classics but there are SO many! Even just reading all of Charles Dickens would take a while never mind Classics from other countries too! I can really see why some people ONLY read Classics - but I could never do that. FAR too much else catches my interest.

VV said...

I started Slaughterhouse Five late last year, but then got busy with sci if reading for the book club and never got back to it. Everyone in the book club had already read it, so I was on my own. I just finished the last sci if read for this month and forgot S5 was sitting in my stack. Maybe I’ll get back to it this summer. I’ve just become distracted by another book, _The Alice Network_ by Kate Quinn partially based on real events in WWII, I think. Good so far!

CyberKitten said...

I've heard lots of good things about 'Alice Network'. It's on my "interest" list which is VERY, VERY long!

Marianne said...

I love classics but only have read a couple, well, four of them: The Catcher in the Rye, Murder on the Orient Express, All Quiet on the Westrn Front and 100 Years of Solitude. While I loved the lost ones, I didn't care for the first.

You might want to join The Classics Club

Enjoy all of them.