About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, July 09, 2022

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag 2022 

I ‘borrowed’ this from Marianne’s Blog: Let’s read (so go visit). 


1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2022 

Starting with a tough one.... I’d have to say: Transcendence – How Humans Evolved through Fire, Language, Beauty and Time by Gaia Vince 

2. Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2022 

Caliban’s War by James S A Corey – It's The Expanse so, duh! 

3. New release you haven't read yet but want to 

Sharpe’s Assassin by Bernard Cornwell. Not sure if I’ll get around to it THIS year as there’s two others in the series I want to read first. 

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year 

I don’t keep with new releases to way I used to so, no idea I’m afraid. 

5. Biggest disappointment (so far!) 

B.E.A.S.T by Charles Eric Maine, a case of already (reasonably) low expectations dashed...... 

6. Biggest surprise of the Year (so far!) 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. I was actually quite surprised at how good a children’s book can be even as an adult reading it for the first time. 

7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you) 

Tana French. Most, most impressed by her writing. Much more to come from this author. 

8. Newest fictional crush 

Cassie Maddox from In The Woods by Tana French. 

9. Newest favourite character 

This is cheating (a bit) but she’s only just shown up in a book series but she’s been one of my favourite TV characters for a while now:  UN Secretary Chrisjen Avasarala from Caliban’s War 

10. Book that made you cry 

Not my thing & none came even close. 

11. Book that made you happy 

A (slight) cheat here with one I’ve (just) read but have yet to review: Funny Girl by Nick Hornby, and more for the amusement and laughs rather than the overall happiness. 

12. Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year (or received) 

If we’re talking cover art, I’d say: The King and the Catholics – The Fight for Rights 1829 by Antonia Fraser 

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year? 

LOTs of them! But I’d like to read the 3rd Dune book and maybe, just maybe, start the Foundation series before New Year's. 

Books reviewed so far: 54. Stacked to be reviewed: 5  

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Thanks for that, Kitten. Glad to see someone else doing the Mid Year Freakout Tag. My favourite book was A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson. I've heard of Tana French, will have to investigate, I guess.

I hope many will take up the idea.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, one thing I forgot was my plans to read 2 books about the BBC and another on 1960's pirate radio for review in October to note the 100th anniversary of that organisation. I'd also like to find a good book about Radio Luxemburg which I enjoyed listening too growing up in the 60's.