About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, September 10, 2022

20 yet MORE Questions 

What’s the most pleasing accent to hear your language spoken with? 

I have a great love of accents and like to try to figure out exactly where people are from as I listen to them talk. The great thing about accents is that with a tuned ear you can almost determine which side of a street they were born on. Obviously they’re not THAT specific [lol] but you can tell pretty clearly which part of a city they hail from and I can usually (or at least could in my youth) tell where someone grew up within about 5 miles on a good day and within 10 without too much effort. The funniest example though was when a friend & I were in Sydney for the Millenium. We were chatting to some nurses we’d just met and I asked: You’re from Melbourne, aren’t you? Yes, they said, how did you know. It’s the same accent as in ‘Home and Away’, I replied. As to accents I like – I've already mentioned Welsh, but there’s Cornish, just about anywhere in the North East particularly Sunderland, a soft Midland accent is quite nice as is an equally soft Irish accent.  

Would you rather be a fairy or be a tall dwarf? 

Oh, DEFINITELY a fairy. I mean, what’s not to like about the Fae? Tall, great cheek bones, pointed ears, pale almost translucent skin, immortal, acrobatic, deadly in combat..... Yup, fairies ROCK. 

How did you deal with your feelings and emotions growing up? 

Badly. 

What are your life’s dreams, and what do you want for your future? 

A reasonably long and peaceful one. 

Would you rather have a sensitive nose or sensitive ears? 

Ears. Many years ago I had some hearing problems so went to my doctors who said that I had an excess of ear wax (apparently I have rather long and convoluted ear canals. Who’d have thought it?). Well, the person who usually deals with such things was off sick [lol] so the doctor tried his hand and completed messed up – effectively blocking BOTH of my ears so I was, essentially, deaf for three days. I couldn’t hear much of anything and could only hear my own voice through bone conduction. When the nurse sorted me out a few days later I had, thankfully briefly, the equivalent of 20/20 hearing. I could hear EVERYTHING. I could hear people's hearts beating next to me, I could hear the fibers in my carpet moving back into place as I walked across it... The noise of railway doors slamming sounded like artillery... It was definitely an interesting experience!  

Who is your secret hero? 

I don’t really have heroes as such and certainly not secret ones. 

How long would you survive a zombie apocalypse? 

On my best day? About an hour. In reality? About 10 minutes after I met my first zombie. 

Have you ever been cheated on? 

Yes. Unfortunately. 

Would you rather be fantastic at riding horses or amazing at driving dirt bikes? 

Probably horses. I’m not a huge fan of motorbikes but I do like horses. I haven’t had a ton of experiences with them but I liked what I had. 

What are you completely over and done with? 

Nothing? Probably? Maybe? 

Would you rather be emotionless or feel too much? 

Mr Spock is my hero so you do the math. Although being completely emotionless would mean giving up your humanity, so..... 

What are the top three things you want to accomplish before you die? 

Finish my TBR (although immortality might be a big ask there). I think that’s all three to be honest! 

What age do you feel right now, and why? 

I used to say that I’ve felt like I was 15 for decades. But that takes into account that before I was actually 15 I felt much older than I was. People who tell me to ‘grow up’ or ‘act my age’ get a smile from me because I take comments like that as compliments. These days I probably feel somewhat older than 15, so I’ll say 25. 

What would your dream house be like? 

A library with a bedroom attached. 

What movie have you seen more than seven times? 

Probably the movie I’m seen most times is the original Bladerunner. Between all three versions I’ve probably seen it more that 60 times.  

Would you rather move to a new city or town every week or never be able to leave the city or town you were born in? 

I’m a city person by birth and have lived in them or near them all my life (which isn’t hard to do in England to be honest). I was born in central Liverpool but haven’t been back there in at least a decade or two so don’t really know what it’s like these days. I wouldn’t mind being confined to a single city though if it was big enough to provide enough of the right amenities. Moving is bad enough never mind EVERY week. It’d send me crazy. 

What is the most beautiful word for you? 

Isn’t the most beautiful phrase in the English language ‘cellar door’? Extra points for getting the reference!  

In your opinion, what is the most useless animal? 

Oh, is ANY animal useless? Probably not. 

What is the best advertisement you’ve ever seen? 

One of the most memorable is the 1984 Apple advert where a female athlete throws a hammer through a large viewscreen to announce a new way of computing. It was very well done – iconic even. 

8 comments:

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Love these questions!!! I also want to finish my TBR before I die, but then I think about all the books that have not even bee written yet that I will want to read, and it's a tad overwhelming. Once I told my pastor that and he looked at me like I was an idiot and asked, "Sarah, seriously, what do you think Heaven will look like for you?" and I realized duh, I will spend eternity in a massive endless library, curled up by the fireplace with all my books yet to be read. I also imagine lots of chocolate will be on-hand as well.

I too am not sure I would survive long during a zombie apocolypse, but when I think about making sure Eleanor survives, nothing is impossible for a determined mum who will protect her child at all costs.

CyberKitten said...

Your pastor sounds like a wise man... who knows you WELL! [lol]

I don't think many people would survive zombies for very long. But what gets me most about the bits of movies & TV shows I've seen is the fact that the survivors of the initial event seem to spend most of their time trying to kill each *other*... DUH!

Stephen said...

Sixty times for Blade Runner? Wow. I thought my paltry double-dozen of Groundhog Day and West Side Story rewatches were an anamoly!

"Obviously they’re not THAT specific [lol] but you can tell pretty clearly which part of a city they hail from and I can usually (or at least could in my youth) tell where someone grew up within about 5 miles on a good day and within 10 without too much effort"

'Enry 'Iggins, is that you?!

CyberKitten said...

Back in the day when film was still developed in a lab I was dropping some off at a chemist near work in London. The girl on the counter certainly wasn't a local so I said: That's not an accent you hear very often down here. You're from Sunderland aren't you? Thanks!, she said. Everyone else thinks I'm from Newcastle. But, I said, those accents are completely different....!

They're 14 miles apart....

Marianne said...

Some great questions again. I also would love to finish my TBR pile before I die but I guess I would have had to stop buying new books decades ago.

As to "cellar door", no, I don't get the reference.

As to accents, I love the Northern ones. Good examples, Douglas Henshall and David Tennant. Oh, and I love the Indian accent.

And I love travelling and seeing new places too much so that I wouldn't want to be stuck in the same city for the rest of my life, no matter how large it is and how much it has to offer.

I have a sensitive nose and I can tell you, often it is no picnic.

And, needless to say, I love the description of your dream house.

CyberKitten said...

'Cellar door' was mentioned in the movie Donnie Darko.

Indian accents can be very musical. Agreed.

I've been to some very special places over the years - New Zealand and Vancouver island especially - but I wouldn't want a regular nomadic lifestyle. I'm too much of a homebody/home comforts person for that. I can't imagine a job where I'm living out of hotel rooms - although room service does appeal! [lol]

I thought you might like my ideal home idea! [grin]

Marianne said...

I might have heard the title Donnie Darko once or twice but I would not have been able to tell what kind of film it is, who's in it etc. (I do now, thanks to the internet).

As to your last comments ... LOL

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Oh yes, a very wise man indeed!