About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 26, 2022


Just Finished Reading: First to Fight – The Polish War 1939 by Roger Moorhouse (FP: 2019) [270pp] 

The British date the start of WW2 from 3rd September 1939 when their ultimatum to Germany expired without a response. But it was two days before this event that Germany invaded Poland and set the whole catastrophe in motion. Things, however, did not occur out of the blue. Tensions had been rising for a while, ever since a resurgent Germany began flexing its military muscles with the occupation of Austria, the Sudetenland and then the rest of Czechoslovakia. After the failure of the Munich ‘agreement’ it was clear to both France and Britain that Germany needed to be restrained by more than a piece of paper promising ‘peace in our time’. So, both France and Britain signed a very public agreement with Poland that they would come to its aid if attacked. While Poland took them at their word, both countries really hoped (indeed fully expected) that it wouldn’t come to that. As we know, Germany (and Russia) had other ideas. Back in 1939, even after everything proceeding the attack, Hitler couldn’t just roll his army across the border – he needed an excuse. Stories had been circulating of the oppression (and murder!) of minority German citizens in Poland and there had been several border ‘incidents’ where Polish troops had temporarily invaded German territory so what else could they do but protect themselves against obvious Polish aggression. This, of course, sounds all too sadly familiar from our nightly news and even in 1939 was seen as a gossamer thin provocation. But orders were given, and tanks rolled. It was all going to be over in a matter of days. Afterall, the German forces where the pinnacle of military might and the Polish? Outdated, weak, corrupt. How wrong the German intelligence was. Not only did the Polish fight, but they also fought both well and valiantly, often against vastly superior forces. It was going to be FAR from the anticipated walk-over. But what of the Allies and what of Russia? The Poles expected immediate action (as promised) by their French and British allies. What they didn’t expect, indeed no one did except the Germans, was what Russia was going to do next... 

Although I knew ‘something’ of the opening actions of WW2 in Poland I’ll be the first to admit that I had no idea of the detail. I hadn’t heard anything about the battles and engagements where the Germans had their assess handed royally to them by underequipped but well led and well-motivated Polish army forces. Like most people I had heard of the fight where Polish cavalry (on horseback) attacked a German armoured column but this turned out to be German ‘spin’ of an actual event where Panzer forces counter-attacked a successful Polish cavalry attack scattering the Polish forces and stopping a potential German hasty retreat. What I didn’t realise, although I should have known what was coming next, was the level of tragedy that befell the Polish people as they were partitioned (again!) between the Germans and Soviet forces. So, not exactly a fun read in places and more than a little depressing throughout to be honest. But if you want an appreciation of the start of WW2 this is a valuable read. I found it particularly interesting with the number of echoes – no doubt real and imagined – with the present conflict in Ukraine. Definitely recommended. 

5 comments:

VV said...

I’ll have to put this on my to read list, there’s definitely some information I wasn’t aware of. I finished November Road on the plane ride to Miami. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for the review! I finally started reading Fahrenheit 451 while in Miami because another friend insisted I read it. I’ve only read the first story in it so far. Interesting, but I’m reserving judgement on the whole book. Miami was cold, windy, and rainy the whole time we were there. The weather turned sunny and warm once we headed to the airport to return home. Getting back home was a non-stop comedy of errors. We finally made it home around 2:45 a.m., but at least we made it home. Many thousands did not.

CyberKitten said...

It definitely filled a gap in my knowledge.

Glad you enjoyed 'November Road'. I'm always a bit anxious when people buy books on my recommendation in case they feel it was a waste of their money! I'm sure I'll have some more you might like coming up next year.

I struggled with '451'. I can see why its such an important classic work of SF but still....

Sounds like you had less of a holiday & more of an adventure. Good to know you both made it home safe. I guess you're staying local for New Year?

VV said...

Yes and no for New Year, driving two hours to eastern shore of Maryland for a friend’s New Year’s Eve party, then staying overnight at Ocean City. Hopefully that travel will be less eventful. Happy New Year to you. Any plans?

CyberKitten said...

I hope you get good travel conditions!

My New Year will probably involve online gaming, chatting with friends and a few beers. Plus (neighbours) fireworks if the rain holds off.

VV said...

Sounds lovely! We had a neighbor who used to set off fireworks for our street. It was such a great event. Enjoy!