About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, February 11, 2023

100 Questions – to get to know someone. 

51. Do you get jealous easily? 

Generally, no. I used to envy some people a bit – usually those with more sexual success than me – but I managed to (largely) get beyond that. I sometimes used to get (mildly) annoyed for a while when people progressed faster than me (the irony of course was that I had little interest in ‘progression’) but that passed quickly too. I learned that not only is jealousy a particularly toxic emotion but that it’s a pointless one too.  

52. Is there anyone you've ever given up on? Do you regret it? 

Depends what ‘giving up on’ someone means. If that means no longer trying to ‘save’ them (usually from themselves) I try but if they refuse to be ‘saved’ or positively influenced by me I leave them to it. You can’t save everyone (or anyone really). If that means giving up on someone who isn’t into you – that's my MO, although it took me a while to figure out that giving up is perfectly OK and a damned good way to stay sane(ish). 

53. What is something on your to-do list currently? 

Buying toilet roll tomorrow. 

54. Are you over your past? 

LOL. Are we ever ‘over’ our past? Our past experiences and memory largely make us who we are. Plus, there’s nothing we can actually DO about our past except accept it or at least come to some form of accommodation. There’s very little point fretting about it. What’s done is done. The point now is living with it, learning from it and, if required, trying to fix whatever damage was done.  

55. Are you afraid of dying? 

I’m not exactly looking forward to the process of dying – especially if there’s pain involved. But I also don’t want to be so dopped up on pain killers that I no longer know who I am, were I am or what’s happening. I’d like to think that death itself doesn’t overly bother me. My belief is that death is the end – much like a lightbulb going ‘ping’. Nothing follows it. You’re just not here anymore. But I guess we all find out (sort of) eventually. 

56. Are you afraid of change? 

Afraid? No. Change can be annoying or inconvenient though. Despite working for YEARS in a Change Team who planned and instigated change across a large organisation I can struggle with change if its outside of my control or if I believe it to be either unnecessary or wrong-headed.  

57. Does commitment scare you? 

As in relationships? No, I don’t think so. I think I could’ve mated for life given the right opportunity. 

58. Were you picked on as a kid? 

Yes, at least for a while during the early years of High School. It took me a few years but I learnt the skill to avoid the bullies without resorting to any kind of violence. 

59. What is one meal you know how to cook? 

I’m not a great cook, but I could probably throw together a decent stew or a curry – veggie, of course! 

60. How many pillows do you sleep with on your bed? 

Just the one at the moment, but I have used two if they’re a bit on the thin side. 

3 comments:

Harvee said...

If I were younger, I'd want more change and faster. I have to go slower and be more deliberate these days about change. I'd love to change this cold climate for a warmer one!

Marian H said...

These are some deep questions! I'm with you on giving up on people who aren't into me. It took me a while, but I'm trying more actively now to focus on the people in my life, not the ones who aren't.

CyberKitten said...

@ Harvee: I can certainly understand the desire for a speed up in some changes. Things that have needed changing for a LONG time are still stubbornly the same. It's been mostly mild here. A few cold snaps but generally OK. Presently 6C.

@ Marian: I *think* they're basically for High School students. At least that's how the questions feel to me. It took me a fair few years but I eventually learnt not to waste the time I have on people who have zero interest in me. Banging heads against walls would be less painful. Its a decent strategy all round to reinforce success, not failure....