About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, March 13, 2023


Just Finished Reading: Fifth Avenue, 5AM – Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman by Sam Wasson (FP: 2010) [210pp] 

I’m not exactly sure why I bought this. Impulse is the only word that springs to mind – that and it was comparatively cheap. I’d seen the movie YEARS ago and kinda liked it and I had, at that time, the novella by Capote waiting to be read. It seemed like a fun idea to read them concurrently – and it was. 

Despite being a big fan of both movies and books in general it’s rare that I read much about even my favourite films. So, I was pleased by how quickly I fell into the narrative presented by someone who both wrote well and obviously had a love for the subject. Following the trajectory from published work, to script, to filming to awards this was a fascinating and eye-opening look at the US movie industry at the cusp of the 1960’s. I actually lost count of the number of things I learnt and the times my eyebrow went up in surprise. One of the things that didn’t surprise me, however, after reading the book was the controversy surrounding the role and the casting of the main character. As often with these things, Audrey Hepburn wasn’t the studio’s first choice to play the iconic Holly Golightly. That [raised eyebrow] was Marilyn Monroe! Can you imagine the alt-universe this version exists in? Maybe equally surprising was that Hepburn was an early choice for the role of Maria in West Side Story but she turned it down [another eyebrow raise]. Anyway, when Audrey was finally approached to play the main character she turned it down – as both her and her husband considered the part too much of a departure – playing a ‘hooker’ no less – from her usual on-screen persona. It took a LOT of persuading and rewriting of the script to get her on-board. This, naturally, wasn’t the only hurdle to be overcome. The studio originally had several other directors lined up before they finally, and rather reluctantly, settled on Blake Edwards and then there’s the iconic song ‘Moon River’, written with Audrey in mind to sing it, and almost rejected by the studio. In many ways that’s just scratching to surface of the ups and downs of getting this movie made and on screens across the world. Chaotic doesn’t really cover it! 

Apart from the story and the movie adaptation itself, the author spends a significant amount of time looking at the leading lady herself (I know a BIT about her, but I didn’t realise how she struggled with her profession – she always wanted to dance ballet – and with elements of her life) and the impact she and her role in the movie had on women coming out of the more conformist 1950’s into the freer and more individualistic 1960’s. Overall, this was a surprisingly interesting look at an iconic movie and I admit I enjoyed it more than I expected. Maybe I should read more movie related books in future? Definitely recommended for all fans and for anyone interested in the industry or the cultural impact of that little black dress. 

[Labels Added: 2, Labels Total: 35] 

8 comments:

Stephen said...

I can definitely see MM as Holly. I have older friends who regard her as glamours and sexy, but she's always come off as obvious and bimbo-y to me. Audrey Hepburn as Maria is another story altogether! We would have missed Natalie Wood's utterly charming performance, though.

CyberKitten said...

I do find it fascinating when you hear of 1st choices for movies - especially classic ones. Imagine Stallone as the Terminator or Tom Cruise as Captain Jack Sparrow..... [grin]

Stephen said...

Cruise is much too much of a 'straight man' character to get away with Jack Sparrow, I think. I've only ever seen Cruise in very serious hero movies, though.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I think I told you this, but I DNF-ed this one. I don't remember why. May try it again some time in the future.

CyberKitten said...

It's VERY rare for me to try a DNF again. Too many books, too little time & all that. I do give them (well, usually) a LOT more rope these days than I did in my youth so if they can't make the grade they're OUT of here!

Stephen said...

Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not. Took me three times to take to Catch-22, and it's been lodged in memory ever since!

Marian H said...

It will never cease to amaze me that Audrey Hepburn playing a prostitute made pearls and a LBD *classy* fashion for decades afterwards! Not sure if that's the power of Hepburn, or the costume designer, or both...

And I still need to watch the movie. O_O

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: I think I've attempted 'Catch-22' twice now. Definitely not going back again!

@ Marian: I think it was both Hepburn & the designer. It was a *very* conscious decision to put them both together - although I don't think anyone really understood just WHAT impact they'd have on fashion going forward.