About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, March 27, 2023


Just Finished Reading: Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar.... Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Daniel Klein and Thomas Cathcart (FP: 2006) [180pp] 

Even if I wasn’t hankering after some Philosophy reading after too long a break, it’d be hard to turn down a title like this one. I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting from this slim volume but what it turned out to be was a high-level overview of various Philosophical Schools or viewpoints illustrated (kind of) by a scattering of fairly funny and generally related jokes. I think what I had hoped (or expected maybe?) was more focus on the philosophy of jokes – indeed on philosophy itself – which left me a bit disappointed in the whole thing.  As a gentle introduction into the world of philosophical thinking this wasn’t a bad effort. The addition of philosophically appealing jokes was a nice idea, especially as a few of them were really funny and rather philosophical too! Unfortunately, an Introduction to Philosophy wasn’t something I was looking for. Although it’s been a while since I’ve read any ‘real’ philosophical works – rather than general or pop-cultural works about philosophy – I didn’t really need to go back to basics. I’m not sure what else to say really, if you’re wondering what Philosophy is all about but are too afraid to dive straight in, this might just be the way to whet your appetite. If you already have some idea of the basics, then you’ll need something a bit more substantial to take you to the next level. Reasonable.   

[Labels Added: 1, Labels Total: 38] 

5 comments:

Stephen said...

I was also underwhelmed when I read this back in '09:

"Although the authors do explain the meaning and (sometimes) relevance of philosophical matters, they do this in a silly and simple way that borders on being shallow and is definitely simplistic."

CyberKitten said...

Not sure who the target audience was... But I don't think it was me! [grin]

I have plenty to choose from on my Philosophy shelves so hopefully my next outing will be better.

Stephen said...

Here's hoping! I need to re-read a book on Marcus Aurelius and then dive into a book on Epicurean philosophy, myself.

CyberKitten said...

I've had a few on Socrates that have been calling to me for a while now. I read the authors first book AGES ago - he's a BIG Socrates fan - and really enjoyed it, so his follow on books should be good too - I HOPE!!

CyberKitten said...

As I thought you'd ask... The one I've read is:

Socrates Cafe - A Fresh Taste of Philosophy by Christopher Phillips.

The other two by the same author are:

Six Questions of Socrates - A Modern-Day Journey of Discovery Through World Philosophy

and

Socrates in Love - Philosophy for the Die-Hard Romantic