About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, March 11, 2023

 The Bookworm Tag (borrowed from Stephen & Marian H) 


1.  If you had to go into the witness protection program, and they gave you the option of moving inside a book, where would you like to go? 

FUN question! Somewhere safe would be good, so..... I’d go with one of Iain Bank’s Culture novels – on board one of his ships.... Keep moving, that’s the ticket...  

2.  Have you ever claimed to have read a book you actually hadn’t read? 

No, although it doesn’t carry too much risk in that most of the people I do (or have) been around wouldn’t have a clue if I was lying or not! 

3.  What author have you read the most books by? 

That’s a moderately difficult question. It’s *probably* Isaac Asimov, but Larry Niven, Frank Herbert or Robert Silverberg might give him a run for his money.  

4.  Do you ever buy fun bookish merch like mugs, shirts, artwork, etc? 

Probably only book related T-shirts! 

5.  Do you usually read only one book at a time, or do you have several going at once? 

Usually two – a fiction and non-fiction. I had a ‘thing’ ages ago where I thought that I wasn’t reading enough non-fiction so started Non-Fiction Sunday’s. So, if I’m already reading a novel, I’ll switch to the non-fiction choice on Sunday before switching back again on Monday. Odd, I know... 

6.  Are you a mood reader, or do you plan out your reads? 

Mostly ‘planned’ - in that I have a pretty good idea what my next 10-12 books will be – but I also feel free to drop in other books as the mood or interest takes me. 

7.  If you could meet the author of your favourite book and ask them one question, what would you ask them? 

I don’t have a favourite book per se and I’d hope that I could get beyond a bland “Where do you get your ideas from?” type question. I think I’d rather sit in a quiet part of a bar with a drink and chat about things – rather than a single question option. That’d be MUCH more fun and, hopefully, informative. 

8.  Have you ever tried a new food or drink because you read about it in a book or story? 

No, but I have sometimes wondered about knocking back a few Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster’s from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. 

9.  Have you ever named a pet after a book character? 

No, I don’t think so. Our pets either had boringly normal names or didn’t have one (do people name their fish?). 

10.  What book are you reading right now? 

Presently reading ‘The Prestige’ by Christopher Priest (and not enjoying it much presently) and will be starting ‘Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar – Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes’ by Daniel Klein and Thomas Cathcart tomorrow – as its SUNDAY! 

11. If you could spend a day with your favourite author, what would you do with them? 

If it was Iain Banks, we’d be ‘tasting’ whisky in a cosy pub in Scotland somewhere.  

12. What is the longest book you’ve ever read, and did you like it? 

Most probably the single volume Lord of the Rings. It’s well over 1K pages and took me AGES to read as a youth. I do have some longer ones awaiting to be read, but with my review backlog still so small it’ll be a LONG while till I read any of them! 

13. Have you ever cried over a fictional death scene, and if so, which one(s)? 

I’ve been annoyed or disappointed when a favourite character died – but no tears I recall. 

12 comments:

Harvee said...

I'm a mood reader, read several books at a time, have listened to music I've seen mentioned in books, and have too many fav authors to choose one. What kind of reader does that make me?

Have a good week.

https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com

CyberKitten said...

What does that make you? A good reader! [grin]

Marian H said...

"Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes" - that sounds fun!

CyberKitten said...

It's..... Interesting, so far..... [grin] I want to read at least a few Philosophy books this year - I miss it.

Marianne said...

Some interesting questions to ponder about.

My longest book is probably War and Peace though I've read a few trilogies but I wouldn't count them as one book.

And yet another thing you have in common with my hubby, he also likes whisky.

CyberKitten said...

My first spirit of choice was, I think, Pernod (with lemonade) as I liked the aniseed taste. I tried brandy (didn't like it) before moving onto Vodka then Gin (at Uni). I think it was a school friend who introduced me to whisky (his fathers!) and another school friend (when I was 10) who introduced me to vodka - from the trunk of a plastic elephant in the school yard [lol] I had a warm floaty feeling all day. I'm glad I only had a mouthful though... IMAGINE getting sent home from JUNIOR school - DRUNK! [lol]

Marianne said...

That would be ... well ... interesting.

Mind you, I come from an area where drinking is normal, and drinking A LOT is even more normal. At any festivity, older neighours or uncles or whoever was over the age of thirty would insist we drink with them. One of the reasons why I don't touch any alcohol now.

CyberKitten said...

I pretty much stopped drinking after I left Uni. Sometimes I'll have a beer or two when out with friends but these days I drink Coke or Pepsi rather than alcohol.

Marianne said...

I think Uni is a tough time for many, unless they grew up in areas like ours. LOL
You know, when you have had five beers in town, you're the most drunk of them all, when you've had five beers in the village, you're the designated driver. ;)

CyberKitten said...

I knew of several people in my years intake @ Uni who developed real problems with alcohol as it was SO cheap and so available. Luckily, although my 'crowd' contained some heavy drinkers, I never developed a need to drink. I certainly drank enough - like a 'fish' - and my Mother certainly thought I was an alcoholic when I mistakenly told her/my family of some of the things we got up to - but I managed to develop the 'skill-set' of knowing where my limit was and then managing my intake to always be below it. I even surprised myself with my ability to both figure it out and having the presence of mind to stick to it.

Later, my increasingly negative reaction to alcohol intake weened me off it (mostly). These days, even out drinking with friends, I can happily get to a point where I've had enough and stop. Friends have realised that there's no point in trying to get me to drink more so gave up trying to get me drunk years ago.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

No surprise, given my Tackling the TBR posts of 'Currently Reading', but I a a MAJOR mood reader.

Marianne said...

My negative reaction is also the main reason that I developed a distaste for alcohol. And my sons never drank as much as we did as young teenagers, so I was not worried there. And it is a lot easier to say no to alcohol when you're an adult.