About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, April 10, 2023


Just Finished Reading: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows (FP: 2008) [240pp] 

England, 1946. It all started with a letter informing Juliet Ashton (played by Lily James in the 2018 movie adaptation) that one of her books had been found on the Channel Island of all places. Deep into her book tour the letter provided a brief moment of intrigue as she wondered just how that had happened. What was more intriguing still, was a brief mention of the island’s book society, so vital at keeping up morale in times of war. Just how had the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society been named? Who were its members? What did they read and, most importantly, what exactly was Potato Peel Pie? Juliet needed to know and so a correspondence began, first with Dawsey Adams (played by Michiel Huisman) and then with the other islanders. Slowly the story emerged of the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the Germans in the war and of the hardships and friendships of those terrible days. Finally released from her book tour, Juliet had to see for herself what the Society meant to her correspondents and how it helped them arrive, battered but resilient, into peacetime. 

I think I picked this up AGES ago mostly because of its quirky title – definitely one of the oddest of the year, no doubt. So, it has languished on a shelf (or in a pile) waiting to be read. Naturally I’m VERY late to the party (again) but, finally, I’m here. Honestly, it was worth the wait. Told through a series of letters as well as the odd telegram, this was a charming and delightful story of friendship under adversity and the very human need for something more than survival. Full of interesting, quirky and honestly lovable characters – including Juliet herself who has made it into my list of favourite female characters – that you’d like to have as friends or neighbours, this is the kind of book that gets under your skin and stays there. Naturally, it got me thinking about the reality of the Occupation but, rather unsurprisingly, I already have two books on that very subject which I’ll be scheduling later in the year. There were certainly enough little details sprinkled throughout this short volume that felt real, so I’m guessing that the authors drew on the real experience of those who lived there.  

Being the subject that it is, as well as the fact that it takes place both during and shortly after a devastating war, this novel is not without its moments of drama, pathos and tragedy. I did at least once have to put the book down and take a few moments before reading on. Several characters really do not have exactly a pleasant time of things and it's quite effecting at times. If you are of a sensitive disposition, I recommend having some hankies ready just in case. This was a somewhat surprise hit for me and turned out to be one of my best reads this year – so far! Highly recommended.

[Labels Added: 0, Labels Total: 42] 

8 comments:

Stephen said...

Sounds like an interesting story, both in the subject and the way it's conveyed. I had to read up on the Channel Islands!

Helen said...

I enjoyed this one too. It made me realise how little I knew about the Channel Islands and what they experienced during the war.

VV said...

I saw the movie (loved it) but meant to read the book. Going to get a copy now. Thanks for the review and the reminder.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I haven't read the book, but my wife has. We both enjoyed the movie.

Marianne said...

Welcome to the club. I read this book ages ago (when it first came out, I believe) with my international book club and then about 10 years later again. We all really liked it.
Another couple of years later, I watched the movie with my husband. It's okay but not half as good as the book, of course. Hubby quite liked it, though.

Here is my review.

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: It was definitely an interesting perspective on part of the war I wasn't completely aware of. The Channel Islands are a bit of an oddity. Although they're part of the British Isles they're not part of the UK - hence them being 'off-shore' tax havens.

@ Helen: I wonder if the WW2 Channel Island 'experience' has been deliberately overlooked as they were the only bit of the British Isles occupied during the war. They do seem to be have been 'forgotten' between D-Day and the final capitulation in May '45.

The two books I mentioned are:

When the Germans Came - True Stories of Life Under Occupation in the Channel Islands by Duncan Barrett

The Day the Nazis Came - My Childhood Journey from Britain to a German Concentration Camp by Stephen R Matthews

CyberKitten said...

@ V V: Hope you enjoy it!

@ Mike: Haven't seen the movie (yet) but will probably catch it at some point.

@ Marianne: I think I've had it for about 10 years before I finally picked it up - probably because of notifications about the film. I'm not sure what I'd expect from the adaptation. The book had a lovely 'feel' to it though... I did actually find it surprisingly emotional.

Marianne said...

I have those books, as well. There are just sooo many books and not enough time to read them all. I'm glad you picked it up eventually.