About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, April 13, 2023


Just Finished Reading: The Stone Mason – A History of Building Britain by Andrew Ziminski (FP: 2020) [288pp] 

I still chuckle over a comment made by one of The Monkies when asked why he liked the UK so much. A little tongue in cheek maybe, he said that “You have gas stations older than my country”. Whilst technically true we have a LOT older buildings too: houses that have been lived in for centuries, schools founded in the Elizabethan Age and burial sites that amazed the Romans with their antiquity. Naturally these places, scattered across the depth and breadth of the nation slowly (or sometimes catastrophically quickly) decay under nature’s assault or through accident, acts of vandalism and war. When such things happen, they need the tender loving care of someone who knows a thing or two about the methods and especially the materials that went into their construction. The author of this odd and intriguing book is just that someone. 

Starting with the Stone Age barrow and with interesting insights to both standing circles I’ve visited at Avebury (once) and Stonehenge (twice), the author travels across the south of England looking at the construction of Roman Bath (a beautiful town) as well as numerous Medieval churches. Filled with stories of itinerant craftsmen (and women!) both past and present you almost feel like you’re looking over the author's shoulder as he studies crumbling stonework or weather-beaten gargoyles who have seen better days. Some jobs need little more than the reapplication of mortar mixed to Medieval standard whilst other jobs require something a bit more radical – from rebuilding walls that have sagged over the centuries to re-carving statues in appropriate style and with appropriate Latin inscriptions.  

Always interesting and often fascinating, this is a unique look at the buildings that have influenced and dominated Britain for century after century, from standing stones, to churches, to castles and stately homes, from Victorian canals to Roman baths and Gothic cathedrals. It’s definitely an absorbing way to look at history and one I very much enjoyed. The author is a very effective communicator and even when some of the rather technical stone mason terms went a bit over my head, I still understood enough to get the feel of things through context. Despite loving a flying buttress as much as the next person – and who doesn’t, right? - I freely admit that my knowledge of architectural history and technique is a little on the sparse side. Thankfully, I’m now a little more knowledgeable because of this excellent book. Definitely recommended for anyone interested in design. 

[Labels Added: 1, Labels Total: 43] 

3 comments:

Stephen said...

I bought this on your recc and it arrived earlier this week. Caught a stomach virus so I've not been reading, but I'm looking forward to tackling it!

CyberKitten said...

Hope you're feeling better SOON! I think you'll like this.

Stephen said...

Felt pretty human after taking the day off work yesterday and just snoozing the afternoon away -- and bonus, Steam finished downloading "Kingdom Come: Deliverance", so soon enough I can pretend to be a German yeoman and run around medieval Europe...