About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Is History Bunk, Or Where Does History Live? 

I’ve been thinking (or more correctly over-thinking) about a comment made recently on Helen’s Blog [She Reads Novels] regarding Historical novels and when it’s legitimate to base them. This is, naturally, linked to the question: When is History? Now, you might think this is a strange question (and as a purveyor of strange questions I should know, right?), but consider this: psychologically humans tend to live in an eternal present – one second ago is the past and lost forever, one second from now is the future and forever unobtainable. So, the past is history, right? So, History begins one second ago, which means, naturally, that EVERYTHING is History and therefore all time – right up to a second ago – is the home of the Historical novel. Of course, you don’t need to waste that second thinking about how ridiculous that idea is. But where does that leave us (or, actually, me). 

Let’s look at things from another angle for a moment. I think it's beyond argument that the 19th century is History and clearly a place to locate a historical novel. As Bust follows Boom it's clear, therefore, that any period before the 19th century is likewise both History and the home of historical novels. But after the 19th century? Now clearly both World Wars (and the so-called ‘peace’ in between) are History and periods legitimately able to host historical novels. But what about after 1945? It that legitimate too? I think it’s at the very least arguable that the 50’s through to the 80’s (again) can be considered both History and (yet again!) a period where legitimate historical novels can live. After the 1980’s things get, I contend, a little more problematic. But here I’d turn to something I came across in my youth – the need for historical perspective and distance. 

Like many people I’m short-sighted and require glasses to see any great distance. But even being short-sighted I still need a minimum distance to see anything clearly. If I get TOO close to something (even in good light) I really can’t see what I’m supposed to be looking at. What makes it worse is the tree/forest conundrum. If you get TOO close to a subject – like History – you inevitably lack perspective and you can’t see things too well. Things that happened recently are very difficult topics for historians because it's difficult to know if they’re important or trivial or where they fit into the historical dynamic. This is why you might get a ton of history books about the 1960’s but you don’t get so many on the events of 2022 or 2023! So, how does that help? As far as I recall, historians tend to shy away from things that happened too recently and by too recently I think they mean around 25 years. That quarter-century is needed to allow the historian to stand back and look at events with at least some detachment. The events may have passed but their echoes are still with us and it’s much clearer what’s important and what many of the antecedents were. I think this is a good guideline when thinking about legitimate time periods for historical novels – 25 years. Within that quarter-century we’re still living with the event – it's still contemporary with us. It has yet to fade into the historical background so shouldn’t, in my opinion, be somewhere where the historical novel can take up a cozy residence. Conveniently, as we’re presently in 2023, I’d draw the line, in my considered but arbitrary fashion, at the convenient point of the Millennium (the celebrated one in 2000 rather than the actual one in 2001). Anything based before 2000 is OK for historical novels and anything after 2000 essentially isn’t. Opinions?     

4 comments:

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Even before 2000 still seems too close, I don't know. But you bring up so many good points. Even the 80s seem too close still.

Marian H said...

"If you get TOO close to a subject – like History – you inevitably lack perspective and you can’t see things too well."

I see the validity in this, but I also think time can greatly warp or bias our perception of events. It's like any other human memory... the remembrance of it takes on its own narrative, probably even changes a little from retelling to retelling. I still love history but I've come to view it as much less of a science than I used to.

But to your question - we have the same problem trying to define "classic literature." I think it's subjective based on the group of readers, and in this case, how old they are. I'm not sure I'd call a novel about 9/11 "historical fiction." Someone born after the fact probably would.

Helen said...

Great post! I don't have an exact cut-off point for what I consider historical fiction, but the Walter Scott Prize uses the definition of at least 60 years before the date of publication, which seems about right to me.

CyberKitten said...

@ Sarah: Time is *strange*. It feels like the 80's were yesterday but at the same time I sometimes think about the fact that I was born only 15 years after WW2 ended. To me WW2 and the Roman Empire are both *deep* History.... and it makes me feel *really* old!!

@ Marian: Oh, History **definitely** isn't a Science - not even close. That's be Asmovian Psycho-History! History is a narrative we use to make sense of the past. We decide which events are important and then string together a story that 'makes sense'. We can very easily take the same period and 'manufacture' a completely different story that would also 'make sense' using the context and perspective we decide is important. Also History 'changes', both when we find out more (documents being discovered etc) and when *our* perspective changes so we see the past differently.

Certainly different age groups see 'History' completely differently. It was always funny @ work (and other places) when thoughts turned to the Moon landings & such. It was always very different for people who were alive at the time and remember the event compared to people who had only read about it in books or taught it in school. I always laughed when teens thought any time before them was ANCIENT history, never mind just History.

@ Helen: Thanks. Nice weather is a time for musing the BIG questions [lol]. I think 25 years is an absolute minimum (and is probably *way* too soon). I can understand the 60 year rule even if my 'picture straightener' mind would prefer it to be 50 years! I think all such 'rules' or 'limits' are, and should be, 'fuzzy' around the edges. Sometimes its very clear cut, other times its a case by case basis. Thankfully, so far, I haven't had to struggle with the boundaries too much here.