About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag 2023 

As borrowed from Marianne over @ Let’s Read 


1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2023 

‘Night Train to Lisbon’ by Pascal Mercier 

2. Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2023 

‘Havanna Bay’ by Martin Cruz Smith – the 4th book in the Arkady Renko series. 

3. New release you haven't read yet but want to 

‘Stone Blind’ by Natalie Haynes 

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year 

‘The Making of the Modern Middle East: A Personal History’ by Jeremy Bowen (out on 14th September)   

5. Biggest disappointment 

‘The Color of Money’ by Walter Tevis 

6. Biggest surprise 

'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows 

7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you) 

Not sure if any ONE author jumps out at being a new (or potentially new) *favourite* author. It’s the word ‘favourite’ that I’m struggling with here. 

8. Newest fictional crush 

No ‘crushes’, per se, but I did like Nora Seed from ‘The Midnight Library’ by Matt Haig for her strength of character as well as Juliet Ashton from ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’ by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows for her essential goodness, and of course the eponymous Circe from ‘Circe’ by Madeline Miller who was a fascinating and complex creation. 

9. Newest favourite character 

Commander Richard Bolitho from ‘Passage to Mutiny’ by Alexander Kent 

10. Book that made you cry 

None. Not really my ‘thing’. 

11. Book that made you happy 

Well, all good books make me happier..... 

12. Best book cover you’ve seen so far this year 

‘Ariadne’ by Jennifer Saint 


13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year? 

EVERYTHING on my planned reading... SO much to read...!! 

14. Best book title of the year so far 

‘Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar.... Understanding Philosophy Through’ Jokes by Daniel Klein and Thomas Cathcart 

4 comments:

Helen said...

I thought Stone Blind was a great book, so I hope you're able to read that one soon. I love the cover of Ariadne!

CyberKitten said...

I'm looking forward to 'Stone Blind' partially because I really like the author & I'm TOTALLY intrigued where she'll take the story. Until reading her book on Women in Greek myths recently I thought of Medusa as the bad guy/girl. Now I see her as very much the victim. It was quite a bit of cultural/historical whiplash!

The Ariadne cover is lovely, isn't it? The covers of a lot of these novels are very pretty [grin]. Did you catch my review of this book on Monday? Next review (on next Monday) will be 'A Pocket Full of Rye'.

VV said...

I loved the Guersney movie so I ordered the book. It’s now sitting in my “to read” pile.

CyberKitten said...

Haven't seen the movie - yet! But no doubt I will...