About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, August 12, 2023

Early Reading, Some Small Expansion 

My earliest reading, as I’ve mentioned before, was almost exclusively within the Science Fiction genre. But what this reading did was prompt within me questions – lots and LOTS of questions. These questions covered everything from ‘Is Time Travel or Faster than Light travel even possible’ to ‘What’s the Moon like’ and ‘How do fish breath under water’. Science Fiction led me to want to know more about the world I lived in and the Universe it existed in. So, where did my reading start to take me: 

Out of this World 6 edited by Mabley Owen
Crosstime Agent by Andre Norton
The Seedling Stars by James Blish
Five to Twelve by Edmund Cooper
Animals without Backbones (Volume 1) by Ralph Buchsbawm (Non-Fiction)
Prisoner of Fire by Edmund Cooper
The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris (Non-Fiction)
A Far Sunset by Edmund Cooper
Out of the Mouth of the Dragon by Mark S Geston
New Writings in SF 12 edited by John Carnell

Fiction-wise we’re still very much in SF territory with some teasing into semi-Fantasy. Interesting, as I’m only picking out every 10th book, we get another THREE Edmund Cooper novels. He was very popular with me at that age! But finally, we’re starting to see a few non-fiction titles – essentially Science based and (as seen to the present) largely Biology based. As you can also tell, a pretty common occurrence around that time was books of short stories which I’ve always found to be a great way of discovering new authors that deserve a read in a longer format.  

2 comments:

Stephen said...

At least one NF, though -- I recognize Morris. I've read a fair bit of him. Want to revisit "The Human Zoo", which covers an area I don't think is explored much at all....the ways city living is out of odds with evo-devo.

CyberKitten said...

I remember 'Human Zoo'. Dated, but still good. We are certainly not 'designed' for city life in particular nor modern life in general - which is, I think, a major reason why humanity seems so crazy these days: probably because we *are*!!