About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 04, 2023


Just Finished Reading: The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa (FP: 2015) [247pp] 

Due to a ‘change in circumstances’, Satoru is looking for someone to take care of his beloved cat Nana. But who? He certainly won’t put Nana up for adoption to strangers. It would need to be someone he knew, someone he trusted, someone who would love Nana as much as he did. But it would be Nana’s choice too, of course. Being an ex-stray, he was a very independent cat and wouldn’t stay with just anyone. Satoru had some ideas and contacted old school friends from years ago. A few responded positively and so, in his small silver van, Satoru and Nana set off across Japan to find if any of the offered places were suitable for Nana to spend the rest of his days. Along the way they would have adventures, meet new people, recover old friendships and we would discover, slowly, what circumstances had changed... 

I wasn’t exactly sure what I was in for with this novel as I haven’t read that much Japanese literature. To be honest part of the reason I picked this up was the fact that it was, for the most part, about a cat. I have a ‘thing’ for cats, which you might have picked up on. To say that this book was a delight would be an understatement. Not only was it quite understated it was also quite beautifully written. The author clearly understands cats and cat-human relationships. That alone was a big selling point for me. Giving animals an active character role in a book – especially with access to their internal dialogue – is difficult to get right (AKA realistic). The author nails that here. The relationship between the single (and arguably lonely) Satoru and Nana is exquisitely portrayed and I quickly fell in love with both of the characters. The story, although simple on the surface, not only gave insights to contemporary Japan but also constituted a series of character studies as Satoru compared his memories of school friends to their modern lives – with missed opportunities for love, revealed misunderstandings and transformative revelations. Each visit was a subtle masterclass in narrative, and I easy found myself completely immersed in the events as they unfolded. 

After loving this so much I was pleased, when looking for a cover to post here, to discover that the author had produced a second book of short stories (on Amazon for half price!) that I immediately snapped up and which should be arriving later this rainy afternoon. I just might have to drop that into my planned reading sooner rather than later. The only thing I would say in warning is that the novel is rather sad at times. If you get as emotionally involved with characters as I do sometimes, you’re going to need a few handy tissues, especially towards the end. Very highly recommended and one of the best books of the year. I can see why it became an (apparently surprise) international bestseller. 

Translated from the Japanese by Philip Gabriel 

[Labels Added: 1, Labels Total: 76]  

9 comments:

Helen said...

I haven't read much Japanese literature either, apart from recently some Japanese crime novels. I'll definitely consider reading this one, as I do like books with cats!

CyberKitten said...

I checked back on my 'Translated' posts and only have one other Japanese novel (which I DNF'd!) and two much older books on the Samurai. So, nothing really.... I'll definitely be hoping to read her follow-up next year. If you like cats you'll definitely enjoy this one.

Stephen said...

The only Japanese literature I've read is "Kokoru". This sounds...unusual but potentially fun.

CyberKitten said...

I suspect that it wouldn't really be your 'thing' - although it might well be! It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on it though... I have her next book (short stories) but, I think, no other Japanese novel to try out. I did see an interesting looking Japanese mystery classic based on the Bullet train that I might end up picking up next year - maybe....

Stephen said...

I'm more of a dog person, true, but I often pick up unusual stories just for amused confusion.

CyberKitten said...

My reading often confuses LOTS of people... [grin]

Harvee said...

I enjoyed your review of the book, and it makes me want to revisit it to take a closer look at the individual narratives re the people Satoru visits on his journey, and the contrast with their previous lives.

Have you tried reading Murakami? He is controversial, I believe, but I enjoyed his IQ84, which has some magical realism and complex stories and characters. I enjoyed his shorter novel, After Dark, as the main character's sister reminded me of someone I know.

Harvee said...

Arikawa also wrote the Housekeeper and the Professor, the first book of hers I read and really liked. The housekeeper has to leave notes for the professor and reintroduce herself every time she sees him as he suffers from the type of amnesia that erases all his memory at the end of each day. All of course, except his work as a mathematician and everyday living.

If you enjoy Arikawa's writing, you would love this one.

CyberKitten said...

Thanks for your recommendations Harvee, I'll look out for them. I haven't read any Murakami yet but I've heard great things about him. I have a book of his short stories working its way through my 'To Read' pile...