About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, March 21, 2024


Just Finished Reading: 4.50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie (FP: 1957) [281pp] 

Elspeth McGillicuddy could hardly believe her own eyes, so it came as no surprise that the police refused to believe that she’d seen a murder committed right in front of her. The railway authorities were likewise less than impressed at her story of seeing a woman being strangled on another train as it drew level with her own. Quite distressed by the whole experience she knew that she could rely on one person to take her seriously – and she was right. Jane Marple had known Elspeth since her long-ago school days and knew when she was telling the truth, but how to convince the police to investigate further? Feeling her advancing years Miss Marple could only thing of getting someone younger and fitter to take her place poking around in the undergrowth and asking subtle questions. Then she hit on the solution – Lucy Eyelesbarrow, a much sort after and highly efficient home help. The question foremost in her mind was how to convince young Lucy to be her eyes, her ears and her hands. But delighted by the odd challenge and the thrill of something different she jumps at the idea. Hired by the local Crackenthorpe family sets about her tasks – sorting out a fractious and chaotic household and the discovery of a dead body... 

Reading this I couldn’t but help have brief images from the 1961 movie adaptation (Murder, She said) starring Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple. Probably for streamlining purposes Miss Marple, in this movie version, both saw the murder from the 4.50 from Paddington and hired herself as a maid to the Crackenthorpe family. Not surprisingly, I thought that the additional characters in the novel worked much better. Jane has been detecting criminality for far too long to be knee deep in brambles between cooking and cleaning for 5-6 adults and a pair of (very well behaved) young boys. I actually thought that the character of Lucy was brilliant, and she fast became one of my favourite fictional females. It would be really nice to ‘see’ her again in future novels but I’m guessing this is both the first and our last time with her. Oh, and I can’t but mention the feeling that Christie had FAR too much fun with her family names here! I mean, McGillicuddy, Eyelesbarrow AND Crackenthorpe.... [lol] 

The plot, as you might expect from Christie is both somewhat convoluted and brilliant. Typically, I failed to spot the murderer – not even close this time – nor the motive but loved the process of finding out. The only disappointing aspect of the whole investigation was the fact that I liked the murderer until the point of revelation – that was new. One of the things I really enjoyed here, and there was a lot to enjoy being honest, were the very well-drawn characters. Even the two schoolboys – they must’ve been around 11-12 I think – were a scream, if FRIGHTFULLY British... Not only were they allowed to see the body (for their education) and spent a great deal of their time looking for clues, but they also prompted a clever reveal as to the corpse's identity which threw things in a whole other direction. Overall, I can hardly praise this too highly. It’s now one of my favourite Miss Marple novels – and that’s a HIGH bar – and I loved it from beginning to end. Very highly recommended to all classic crime fans.

7 comments:

Marian H said...

I was about 12 when I read this, but I remember enjoying this novel and also the character of Lucy Eyelesbarrow (definitely a fun name!). The Joan Hickson adaptation is pretty good, too.

By the way, do you want to pick an April date this time for Hound of the Baskervilles? I am busy most of next week but I plan to get started on it sooner than later. :)

CyberKitten said...

I'll have to check out the Hickson version.

I did some checking with the names, McGillicuddy is an Irish name so not that unusual, Eyelesbarrow is a tin mine on Dartmoor and Crackenthorpe is a village in Cumbria. I wouldn't be surprised in Christie visited or was nearby those places... Unless she's like me and loves going through an atlas looking for funny/unusual mames!

I was thinking about review dates for Baskerville... Any Monday or Thursday in the 2nd half of April will suit.

Marian H said...

How about the 18th?

CyberKitten said...

18th is good.......... Looking forward to it. It was my favourite Holmes story. I wonder if it still is [muses].

Marian H said...

Cool, I'm looking forward to it too! :)

Helen said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! It's one of my favourite Miss Marples as well - definitely in my top three at least. I loved Lucy and the two schoolboys!

CyberKitten said...

I'm *really* enjoying the Miss Marple books! On to the next one.... [grin] Lucy was brilliant and the boys were *so* funny. Christie's characters are a delight, she's so good at creating believable people.