About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, May 02, 2024


Just Couldn’t Finish Reading: Biomimicry – Innovation Inspired by Nature by Janine M Benyus (FP: 1997) [297pp] 

My first (and hopefully last!) DNF of the Year. This was really quite disappointing as I’d been looking forward to reading this for a while. Biomimicry – using lessons from nature to improve or even design from the ground up better machines or processes – is a great way to short-cut the design process. Afterall, nature has been perfecting its processes for a LONG time. So, I was expecting things on solar cells and stuff (which are actually pictured on the cover) and much else besides. It started out OK and I actually enjoyed (mostly) the first chapter on farming except for the nagging feeling that the ideas being discussed just wouldn’t work in the real world!  

But what really turned me off – or rather made me increasingly reluctant to pick this up and engage further – were two things. Firstly, I felt that the author stayed far too long in the weeds – even if that was quite appropriate in the farming section – rather than discussing the ideas and fundamental underpinning of the viewpoint. Second, I found that the age of the book – which to be honest isn’t that bad in the grand scheme of things – meant that her enthusiasm over a bit of technology was often redundant because it had either been shown to be a bad idea, had been superseded by something else or had been adopted as a standard and so had faded into the background.  

So, after 120 pages, I gave in and the DNF guillotine came down. Back in the day I’d give a book 50 pages before I’d DNF it (although sometimes it was a LOT less than that!). I think 120 pages is giving it a good go, so I’m not feeling guilty in any way, just disappointed. On to bigger and better things...      

7 comments:

Marian H said...

Ah, that's too bad. However, life is too short to finish some books. :)

It does make me cautious about buying certain types of books that are likely to become dated. I have to ask myself if I'd ever be interested in the book merely as a snapshot of time (sometimes I am).

CyberKitten said...

Indeed! Life is FAR too short to waste time on books you're not enjoying - especially when there's SO many other books out there that you *could* be enjoying. Fortunately I've read quite a few good books between DNFing this one & my latest read.

Stephen said...

OT, but I just finished "The Store", annnnd yeah. I have to ditto your opinion of it.

CyberKitten said...

I thought it started out well...But then.....I thought: Ah, Stephen won't thank me for *this* [initial] recommendation! [lol]

I do have some better stuff for you coming up though.

Stephen said...

It was my own doing! I read Patterson 15+ years ago and thought "Yeah, he's even lazier than Grisham", but I saw this while browsing and figured heck, why not. It made for entertainment at breakfast & lunch, anyway.

CyberKitten said...

Unfortunately I have a stack of Patterson's that I'll probably never read. I liked *some* of them but others... Oh My GOD they were BAD! I really don't know how he got such a good reputation....???

Stephen said...

I went back and looked at the first time I read him in 2011 for comparison:

"With the possible exception of the 16-book Left Behind series by Jerry Jenkins and Timothy LaHaye, this is the shallowest bit of fiction I’ve ever read. "

Pretty consistent!