About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 15, 2024


Life is Hard(back), then you Read... 

As you may have picked up previously, I’m not a huge fan of hardback books. For one thing they tend to be rather expensive – around double the cost of a paperback or more – unless you pick them up in sales or in shops dedicated to selling on hardbacks at discount prices (like my favourite Indie bookshop in ‘town’). For another thing they tend to be both huge and heavy in comparison to paperbacks so are more of a hassle getting home, lugging around or simply holding in your hand. They also take up significantly more space on shelves (or on the floor) and so on. Of course, there are a few advantages too – otherwise they wouldn’t exist – including the fact that they’re often published a year or so before the paperback (IF they come out in paperback at all) and are significantly more robust, thereby ‘keeping’ in a decent condition for much longer that their paperback version which is always in danger of falling apart after a few years. So, it won’t come as too much of a surprise to know that I don’t own many hardbacks – but I do have some... 

Having a significant number of unread books in my house (I have no idea HOW many exactly but it wouldn’t surprise me too much if it exceeded 1000) it's always a problem of choosing what to read next. I don’t really want to read books at random or be a *complete* slave to my butterfly mind so I need some sort of rational to what I’m going to read next. This is why I’ve been inventing schemes and themes to focus on particular books or areas of interest, in part to stop me picking something up just because it's a recent arrival or the topic is front and centre in my head. So, to cut a long, rambling and probably boring story short, I’ve added yet another criteria to my ‘what shall I read next’ filter: Hardbacks. 

Over the last few weeks I’ve been going through the stacks of books around my house picking out some of the chunkier hardbacks I own and giving them their own stack(s) - presently 3 – for a grand total of around 50 books. Some of these date back to the 1970’s - although I haven’t had them THAT long – whilst others herald from 2022 or 2023. They’re in a wide variety of topics – The War of 1812, the technology of vaccine production, the Vietnam War, Evolutionary genetics etc – and a variety of thicknesses up to pretty substantial chunksters (in excess of 700 pages). My intention is to filter these into my ‘read next’ stack during the next few years so I can create a bit more room for more, and smaller, paperbacks. The first few have already started to edge into my 'pre-read next' stack, but they’ll take a while to work through into my actual review pile. I imagine the first hardbacks should be reviewed here from the end of the year or possibly early next. It’ll be good to actually get to *read* them, rather than using them as very solid foundations to paperback stacks. I may have to start strengthening my wrists though...!      

7 comments:

Harvee said...

I have had to give away all my books, old and new, hardbacks and paperbacks, to make space for another bedroom. The used bookstore owner resold them for a pretty penny and I see he is doing so well that he has upgraded his store! People in our town have been giving him tons of books, to his best advantage. I support his store as there are so few used book stores around town.

Harvee https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I wish I could be as organized as you but I just can't get my brain to focus on only one book at a time. Hence the 55 currently readon Goodreads, lol.

I greatly dislike hardbacks as well, because I have been known to drop books on my face while I am reading and have fallen asleep. It does not feel great. There is only one author who I ever buy immediately, thus in hardback, and I bet you can gues his name! But to be fair, he always gets me his latest via NetGalley so I've got it on my Kindle as well, so I rarely ever even open the hardbacks.

Marian H said...

I think this is a great idea! When shelf space is at a premium, hardbacks have to justify their existence ;) But also, it sounds like you've got a good assortment/variety there, and that's fun!

CyberKitten said...

Oh, Harvee! My condolences!! That must have been quite a decision making process. Your loss was the bookstores gain! I hope they appreciated your sacrifice. I don't know if I'd have the strength to do that...

@ Sarah: Not sure if I've ever dropped a hardback on my face, but I'm confident I've dropped one on my toes! OUCH!! There's not many authors I'd buy immediately (I've done that before, but then didn't read it until *after* the paperback came out which kinda defeats the object). Yes, I know who you mean - DUH!

@ Marian: Typically I'm already thinking of alternatives & variations. One of my longer term 'plans' is to try & read 12 novels with the month in the title, in calendar sequence and in sequence with the real dates... But I only have July confirmed ATM so that might take a while putting together. I do have a sequence of 10 title related books - probably for next year - and I'm wondering just how far I can push it... 20 wouldn't be impossible... [muses] As you probably realise, variety is my 'thing' so brace yourself for some unusual stuff coming through - one of which, giving it away slightly, is about the cultural and literary history of the umbrella... [lol]

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Oh yes, I have definitely dropped them on my feet as well, or a stack has tipped over while Eleanor and I are sorting HER books...never-ending injuries from books over here, lol.

I've only dropped them when I have fallen asleep, so not too often but I do not recommend.

I'm guessing everyone knows who I am talking about, lol

CyberKitten said...

I do worry sometimes about stack avalanches... Plus the strength of my floor joists upstairs, so I tend to stack particularly BIG piles in the corners.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

lol, sounds like an excellent plan.