About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 22, 2024


Just Finished Reading: The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (FP: 1894) [256pp] 

As I (shockingly) didn’t spend my childhood years reading – never mind reading children’s classics like this – my ‘knowledge’ of The Jungle Book comes from the classic Disney cartoon version. So, it surprised me more than a little that this book wasn’t the novel I expected, but was instead a series of 7 short stories – only the first 3 covering the exploits of the man-cub Mowgli and the others we know so well from the silver screen.  The stories, ‘Mowgli’s Brothers’, ‘Kaa’s Hunting’ and ‘Tiger! Tiger!’ did follow (roughly) what I was expecting with Mowgli being adopted by wolves when his farther is killed by the tiger Shere Khan, Mowgli learning the ways (and languages) of the jungle and the ultimate battle with Shere Khan. Complete with songs (which I’ve always assumed that Disney added for the movie) this was an interesting insight into the literary foundations of the cartoon classic. 

The other 4 stories (with one exception) were new to me. ‘The White Seal’ was an odd one – telling the tale of – unsurprisingly – a white seal, distinct from his grey family who seeks a safer place away from human hunters despite the laughter, incomprehension and bullying from his own generation. ‘Toomai of the Elephants’ was odd in a different way where a younger elephant driver is shown (or stumbles upon) the legendary ‘dance of the elephants’ which changes his life. ‘’His Majesty’s Servants’ is probably the blandest and least interesting of the bunch taking place on a stormy night on a parade ground and is mostly conversations between various draught animals. 

My favourite of the bunch – and the exception of the 4 – was ‘Rikki-Tikki-Tavi' about the famous adopted mongoose who protects his human ‘family’ from a pair of cobras. I must have come across this story – possibly in my early years of school – a LONG time ago as I couldn’t remember many of the details but I thought it was very well told, had bags of tension and would’ve thrilled any child it was read to before they nodded off to sleep. It was the highlight of the book. An interesting read overall and recommended to those who, like me, missed this classic growing up.       

6 comments:

Stephen said...

I've heard of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. Name like that does stand out. Jungle Book is the only soundtrack to rival Lion King's for sheer fun.

CyberKitten said...

I'm not the *greatest* fan of musical numbers in movies (except West Side Story - of course) but the songs in Jungle Book where pretty special.

Stephen said...

Did you ever see the new WSS? I enjoyed it throughly, especially fleshing out some of the characters. I think it's the last DVD I ever bought -- perhaps ever will buy...

CyberKitten said...

No, haven't seen the remake... I did hear a lot of chatter about it though. I might check it out... Been watching OLD movies recently. I'm making a list to post @ some point.

Helen said...

I read this as a child, along with the sequel, The Second Jungle Book and was a bit disappointed that it wasn't more like the Disney film! I vaguely remember Rikki-Tikki-Tavi but none of the other non-Mowgli stories have stuck in my mind at all.

CyberKitten said...

I think that Disney have done a *very* good job of hi-jacking these stories, so its difficult if not impossible to actually remember the originals.