About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 15, 2024


Just Finished Reading: The Testimony of Alys Twist by Suzannah Dunn (FP: 2020) [273pp] 

England, circa 1554. It was the very pinnacle of achievement; she was a laundress to royalty itself. It was, even if she said so herself, a strange kind of royalty – a Queen, ruling alone, without a man, a King, to guide her. Alys thought it both disturbing and oddly exhilarating. Even so, a Queen needed a King to produce heirs and Queen Mary wasn’t getting any younger. More worryingly though was the fact that the new monarch still clung to the old religion and was, it seemed, dedicated to bringing it back to prominence with all the dangers that such an idea entailed. One of those dangers was the Queen’s younger half-sister the Lady Elizabeth. As an adherent to the new religion of Protestantism she was likely to be a lightning rod for any conspiracy against the rightful crown. But Miss Twist thankfully realised, this was none of her concern – until it was. The Lady Elizabeth needed staff and elements within the Queens orbit needed information. As Alys had only just arrived at court, she was the ideal subject to be transferred to look after Elizabeth’s laundry. Now at the very heart of things, Alys begins to wonder which side she was on and whether being on any side in such an endeavour wasn’t just a quick road to an execution. 

As usual I picked this up years ago because it looked interesting and different. It also focused on a particularly interesting period of English/Tudor history – the countries (brief) return to Catholicism following Henry’s establishment of the Church of England and the reign of ‘Bloody Mary’ so revealed in later centuries. Although both monarchs are only very briefly ‘on the page’ they have very distinct and well-known characters – Elizabeth is young, intelligent, crafty and lucky whilst Mary is wracked with doubt, pious to a fault, paranoid (especially about Elizabeth) and delusional if not actually mad. The main thrust of this often-excellent novel is, as the title suggests, the life of Alys Twist herself. Alys is a great character, maybe a little too modern for the period but I can understand why this is the case. Like updating the language to a more modern parlance – I'm not sure if more authentic ‘Shakespearian English’ would work with most readers! - a more modern mindset/personality is more palatable to a modern reader as long as things aren’t TOO modern that is. This is where the author come in for my only criticism, if I can use that word. The world the author creates and the characters she populates it with are very good indeed. The author's style is, likewise, very good indeed and I thoroughly enjoyed my reading experience. But, sometimes, I paused and thought to myself – did people REALLY say such things in the mid 16th century? Would someone in 1544 even find that particular thought even possible? I’ll explain... 

Metaphors or styles of speech have their time and place. Words, meanings and common usage are born, live and, sometimes, die. Phrases have historical roots. For example, a Roman would never have said that something was ‘a flash in the pan’ or that everything had been taken ‘lock, stock, and barrel’ - because both phrases date from the age of gunpowder flintlocks. In this novel nothing ‘quite’ like that happened, but on more than one occasion the author used a phrase that knocked me out of the narrative because it made me wonder – without any actual knowledge to back it up – if such a phrase COULD be used at the time. It certainly didn’t ruin things for me – nowhere near – but it was more than a little irritating at times. This was, however, my only quibble with the book which, apart from that, I thought very good and edging towards excellent. It’s from a very interesting period of British history, its chocked full of interesting characters and has a real sense of place which I enjoyed. There are some minor (non-conventional) non-explicit romantic elements which shouldn’t bother anyone but is worth a mention. Overall, a fun intriguing read. Definitely recommended to all history, and especially Tudor history, buffs.                

14 comments:

Stephen said...

Sounds like something I'd read. Such a sad time for the Tudor ladies -- Mary, Mary Queen of Scots, and Bloody Bess herself. (;-))

CyberKitten said...

I don't really know enough about the reign of Mary Tudor to give a definitive opinion, but we've always known her as 'Bloody' Mary because of the number of people who were executed during her reign for either treason or because they wouldn't convert back to Catholicism. I don't know how many were executed under the reign of Elizabeth (for treason mostly I'm guessing) but I'm not aware its anywhere near the number under Mary - also I expect the fact that a significant number of people were burnt at the stake (prior to being tortured) didn't really help Mary's case.

More reading to do I think! I do know that Sarah thinks that Mary got a bad rap. Personally, I'm not so sure.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

SHE DID!!! lol

It doesn't excuse how many people she had put to death. BUT you have to think about the trauma she endured and how when she and Catherine were never allowed to see one another again, she clung to her faith and her belief (correctly) that she was the rightful heir, and also that her mother was the true queen. I wouldn't go so far as to say that she was mentally ill because it is a stretch, and also we can't diagnose people centuries later, but I do think that trauma played a huge part in shaping her as an adult. I think she felt like she had to vindicate her mother, and given how important her faith was to Catherine, that Mary maybe felt she could 'save' her mother?

But Elizabeth executed plenty of people also. Don't even get me started on her shenanigans with Mary, Queen of Scots! She KNEW the MOMENT she signed the death warrant that Cecil would go through with it. Spare me the theatrics about how you didn't mean it and how it was the courier's fault for taking it off your desk right away, Lizzie *eye roll*

Stephen said...

Elizabeth would kill people just for being Catholic priests and being on English soil. The Bloody Mary thing is a case of victors writing the history, so I like to return fire with Bloody Bess despite like Elizabeth on the whole. (Unless she's my neighbor in Civilization III.) The worst part about Mary's story is her thinking she was pregnant, when it was stomach cancer.

CyberKitten said...

@ Sarah: Maybe I should've added a 'trigger warning'... [lol]

Agreed that Mary's upbringing/life history doesn't excuse what she did. I do think she was much more of a zealot than Elizabeth though. I don't know the details of numbers of people executed/imprisoned/tortured on either side (at least yet) but I'm still far more of a Liz fan than a Mary one. Oh, yes. Elizabeth *totally* knew what was going to happen to Mary of Scots but she tried to wimp out on taking the responsibility for the regicide.

@ Stephen: I think the religious issues during Liz's reign started when she was excommunicated by the Pope. After that, at least theoretically, Catholics in England no longer owed any fealty to her and therefore were all at least potential traitors 'in good faith' so couldn't be trusted. When Catholic priests where arrested & later executed it was because they were actively fermenting (or at least accused of fermenting) insurrection against a rightful monarch - treason - and not *just* because they were Catholic. There were still plenty Catholics in England at that time. They just couldn't practice their faith openly and had to pay a fine if they didn't attent the local CoE church on Sunday.

Helen said...

I have read two of Suzannah Dunn's books - The May Bride, about Jane Seymour, and The Lady of Misrule, about Lady Jane Grey. I liked the first more than the second, but in both books the modern language was distracting. I prefer my historical novels to feel more historical!

I'm currently reading Mary I, Queen of Sorrows by Alison Weir, which I'm enjoying so far.

CyberKitten said...

Agreed that the language overall was too modern feeling and, as you say, rather distracting because of that. I still enjoyed the novel though. I'm not sure if I have any more of her books but I won't be adverse to reading them.

I'm currently working my way through my 10 classics I mentioned some time ago. Surprisingly, I actually DNF'd one, which came as a bit of a shock! The first review will be up soon...

Most of my (typically unread) Tudor books are by Weir or Gregory.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

lol, you KNEW I would be up in arms about Mary and Elizabeth.

I agree she was far more of a zealot then Elizabeth. But again, so much of that goes back to her teenage years and the trauma, I feel. Mary's life was just so sad. She and her mother never being allowed to see each other again, even when they were ill, and as Catherine was dying. Her belief that she was doing what was needed to return England to the true faith, and especially the phantom pregnancy(ies). It's so heartbreaking.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Also...most of your unread Tudor books are by WHO AND WHO??? :P

CyberKitten said...

Mary may indeed have had a rough, even heart-breaking, life but that's not really any excuse (or explanation) for all those people she had killed. As with all historical characters/people its from difficult to impossible to 'diagnose' them from the historical record alone... But, from what I've read so far (which isn't that much to be honest) the woman was borderline batshit crazy - difficult situation notwithstanding.

As to her religious zealotry - again, understandable for the period *but* that kind of thing cuts very little ice with me I'm afraid. I will, of course, be reading more about her & the period in general to come to a more informed opinion of the whole thing.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, my list of Tudor books is FAR too long to mention here, but my first read from that stack will probably be:

'A Brief History of The Tudor Age' by Jasper Ridley

...just to get back into the swing of things.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

But, you said most of your unread Tudor books are by...Weir or Gregory. WE'VE HAD THIS DISCUSSION ALREADY! lol

CyberKitten said...

Well.... Most of the FICTION, yes..... [lol] Oh, and some of the non-fiction too actually.....

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Stop it. Stop it now. lol.

I gave up on Weir's non-fiction. No historian is above citations, yet she thinks she is now. It's frustrating.