About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

A Few Good Quotes:

I am as firmly convinced that religions do harm as I am that they are untrue. ~ Bertrand Russell

I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind — that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking. ~ Henry Louis Mencken

I believe that traditional religious belief and scientific knowledge depict the universe in radically different ways. At the bedrock they are incompatible and mutually exclusive. ~ E.O. Wilson

2 comments:

Prom said...

And yet man persists in having faith in something beyond the rational despite the ever growing evidence that there is no need for the supernatural to explain the natural.

Despite how it divides us and bedevils us, more of us than not still persist in irrational beliefs.

How is it that mankind ended up with a "god gene" in the first place and why has it persisted so strongly in the population breeding group of man?

CyberKitten said...

prom - welcome.

All very good points - some of which have been discussed in previous postings. Check out my archives for some of the debates those observations have generated.