About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Vatican 'may relax condom rules'

From the BBC

24 April 2006

The Vatican is preparing to publish a statement on the use of condoms by people who have Aids, a senior Roman Catholic official has said. Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan told La Repubblica newspaper that Pope Benedict XVI asked the Vatican's council for health care to study the issue. The Vatican says abstinence is the best way to tackle HIV/Aids. But last week, a retired archbishop backed the use of condoms for married couples to prevent Aids transmission. Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, who used to be Archbishop of Milan, said that in couples where one partner had HIV/Aids, the use of condoms was "a lesser evil".

Cardinal Barragan told the newspaper: "Soon the Vatican will issue a document about the use of condoms by persons who have grave diseases, starting with Aids." He said his department was studying the document, along with the scientists and theologians who wrote it. "It is Benedict XVI who asked us for a study on this particular aspect of using a condom by those afflicted with Aids, and by those with infectious diseases," he added. Asked whether he agreed with Cardinal Martini's views, Cardinal Barragan said: "It is a very difficult and delicate subject which warrants prudence." He said he preferred not to comment on Cardinal Martini's remarks, so as "to not anticipate the study". It is not clear when the document will be published. The Vatican has made no official comment.

4 comments:

dbackdad said...

Catholic and condom. Two words that I never thought I'd hear in the same sentence.

I'd be surprised if the Vatican signs on to this one.

Sadie Lou said...

The Vatican needs not to concern themselves with the topic of birth control between married couples. It bothers me to no end that they feel they are the authority on everything.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: Catholic and condom. Two words that I never thought I'd hear in the same sentence.

Me neither. Shows how even the Catholic church can move with the times though - and actually seem to be able to meet reality half way.

Sadie lou said: It bothers me to no end that they feel they are the authority on everything.

I think that they have complete authority over anything Roman Catholic. At least I think that they do. Though I was baptised into the Catholic church I'm more of a 'lapsed' catholic [chuckle] so I'm not certain.

Unknown said...

Little like shutting the barn door when the horses have bolted... but any relaxation allows positive and rationale discussion.